Have you ever heard of ships sinking because their loads of bulk ore liquefied?

I was reading this article in BBC and it just amazed me that there have been over 100 cargo ships lost in the last 10 years from this phenomena and I have never even heard of it.

The cargo ships that ‘liquefy’Solid cargoes like crushed ore or sand can suddenly turn to liquid… and cause the ship to sink. And the phenomenon happens more frequently than you might think.http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180905-the-cargo-ships-that-liquefy
0% Yes 79% No 21% Other
Will_Janitors avatar Technology
8 16
@2811187

Ships would probably not encounter large enough waves in a river, particularly not waves that would cause much rolling of the ship.

@2811885

Just wait until anthropogenic climate change really gets going... the waves will be up to 16 feet in no time. ono smilie

@2811220

From reading the article, it isn't the weight, but how it becomes unstable when it liquefies.

No, I've never heard of it. Weird.

Nope - fails my "common sense" test.
Even if the solid turned to a liquid - the ship would still not sink, as it doesn't alter the physics of a ship floating. It's not like the ships have holes filled by the solid, which open after liquification letting water in.

I never heard of it either. The problem seems to be that if the cargo liquefies, and then the ship rolls due to a larger than normal ocean wave, the cargo can shift toward the low side of the ship, making the roll even worse, perhaps to the extent where the ship capsizes.

Seems to me this could be prevented by running a wall (bulkhead?) down the middle of the ship, front to back (fore to aft?). Of course then the cargo would have to be loaded simultaneously and equally in both halves of the ship, and the ship owners might not like the expense of the extra construction.