Will_Janitors avatar TV, Movies & Theatre
9 26

This is misguided love at its worst. It eliminates the chance to learn self reliance and coping skills and promotes "failure to launch". cry smilie

JanHaskells avatar JanHaskell Yes and I know some of them. +9Reply
@JanHaskell This is misguided love at its worst. It eliminates the chance to learn self reliance and coping skills and...

I agree. We parents usually have the desire to try and make sure our kids have it better than we did. That's natural, but needs to be balanced with teaching them values and work ethic.

Ah, yeah. I've heard of the parents, not the new term. I've had this conversation when people called them helicopter parents. What I said before is what I say now - the parents might mean well, but they're not helping the kid at all. The kids need the skills to deal with stuff by their own.

"maybe this has something to do with the change in values we see from a multitude of millennials" - I have to disagree. This is not new at all. There are people well over their 50 that are a result of parenting like this. This is not a generation thing - it's more about culture and money than anything else.
I know I'm not doing this if how I was with my little sister was anything to go by. While the adults were pampering her and spoiling her, me and my older sister, the millenials of the family, were not. (by the way, there's no lawnmower adults in my nuclear family.)

On another note - chicken, helicopter, lawnmower. I mean, how many times are we going to change this term, saying "they're worse than before", before we reach toaster parents, as they burn all the kids' dreams and aspirations for life? I know it's coming.

Sofias avatar Sofia Other +7Reply

I've never heard the term before, but the concept is not new to me.

I've never personally seen it to the extreme described in the link, but I've at least seen examples that are similar to some extent.

That kind of attitude can sometimes stem from the parent's own initiative, regardless of how the child actually feels. They do it because they believe that it's better that way, or that that's what the child would prefer, or because they are convinced, for whatever reason, that the child would be unable to handle reality otherwise.

However, it doesn't need to stem only from the parents. The children's own unwillingness and resistance to doing something can also play a role, along with the parent's decision to support that resistance, rather than actually trying to make an effort and work on the issue.

Some parents are just too permissive - they say "yes" too easily when their kid resists to doing something that's important to their growth. They are unwilling to push their kids. I guess they either don't think the thing in question is that important to be worth pushing, or they put their kid's immediate wishes above all else, or they don't understand how to push it without making it seem like an unreasonable imposition, or something like that.

For example, imagine a kid who hates doing any kind of physical exercise, and, if left on their own, will stay sedentary 24 hours a day. Some parents will simply allow that and won't do anything about it. (True story.)

Similarly: does your child hate reading? Some will simply not try and find ways to stimulate them to read. They only like fried food? Some will simply give them nothing but fried food. And so on.

@primeiro I've never heard the term before, but the concept is not new to me. I've never personally seen it to the extreme...

Some parents just want to be friends with their kids and not parents. Thus, they can't say no to them. It was sure different in our household. We were strict when we needed to be, we had rules and they knew they had to follow them. And they respected us.

Just learned it today. Apparently some parents refuse to let their children grow up to be responsible adults. We see the results everyday, snowflakes come to mind.

I was definitely NOT one of those parents. My kids were taught the right things, to be good people, take responsibility for their actions, be kind to others less fortunate, and tell the truth. They followed our rules and they have turned out to be great people.

I just learned this word today. Parents are shortchanging their kids and the world they live in by coddling the kids. This is why the world is so crazy today, no one wants to be responsible for their actions anymore.

So, what are lawnmower parents?

JerryHendricksons avatar JerryHendrickson Never heard of them. +1Reply
@JerryHendrickson So, what are lawnmower parents?

Parents who try to remove all of life's usual obstacles from the lives of their children.

JanHaskells avatar JanHaskell Yes and I know some of them. +5Reply

but this sounds like the vast majority of liberal parents today, you see adults who cannot handle trump or things not going their way, i can only attribute that to lawnmower parents, i mean what 18 year old cries like a baby in the middle of the street because republicans won instead of democrat?

Yes, it's true that lawnmower parents are a scourge to society, unleashing their helpless offspring into the wilds of humanity only to become a burden to society.

BUT, doncha think we oughta give those parents a trophy?
You know, for participating?