Words to those wanting to mend fences need to mend themselves first. Admit that you were wrong, change your ways, apologize, let bygones be bygones, then only then, will a fence be mended. What are your thoughts?

...I've mended many fences, admitted that I was wrong...when I was wrong and even when I wasn't wrong. I've given people many chances, even that didn't work. Some fences just can't be mended, especially when the same things that caused a broken fence are still going on. Just my humble opinion, of course.

JUST TO CLARIFY, THIS POST IS NOT MEANT FOR ANYONE IN PARTICULAR, NOR DO I WANT ANYONE TO APOLOGIZE TO ME. IT'S A GENERAL QUESTION, SO NO ONE SHOULD TAKE IT PERSONAL. IF AN APOLOGY IS CALLED FOR, THEN THAT IS UP TO EACH INDIVIDUAL.

Google Image Result for http://img.picturequotes.com/2/19/18994/first-mend-yourself-and-then-mend-others-quote-1.jpghttp://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://img.picturequotes.com/2/19/18994/first-mend-yourself-and-then-mend-others-quote-1.jpg&imgrefurl=https://quotestopics.com/mend-quotes/&docid=VJU-69szDhC-XM&tbnid=28NRH6rvCpkrqM:&vet=1&w=500&
StarzAboves avatar Jokes & Humour
4 27

Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,
And spills the upper boulders in the sun;
And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.
The work of hunters is another thing:
I have come after them and made repair
Where they have left not one stone on a stone,
But they would have the rabbit out of hiding,
To please the yelping dogs. The gaps I mean,
No one has seen them made or heard them made,
But at spring mending-time we find them there.
I let my neighbour know beyond the hill;
And on a day we meet to walk the line
And set the wall between us once again.

We keep the wall between us as we go.
To each the boulders that have fallen to each.
And some are loaves and some so nearly balls
We have to use a spell to make them balance:
"Stay where you are until our backs are turned!"
We wear our fingers rough with handling them.
Oh, just another kind of out-door game,
One on a side. It comes to little more:
There where it is we do not need the wall:
He is all pine and I am apple orchard.
My apple trees will never get across
And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.
He only says, "Good fences make good neighbours."

Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder
If I could put a notion in his head:
"Why do they make good neighbours? Isn't it
Where there are cows? But here there are no cows.
Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offence.
That wants it down." I could say "Elves" to him,
But it's not elves exactly, and I'd rather
He said it for himself. I see him there
Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top
In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed.
He moves in darkness as it seems to me,
Not of woods only and the shade of trees.
He will not go behind his father's saying,
And he likes having thought of it so well
He says again, "Good fences make good neighbours."

-Robert Frost

I'm pretty sure those actually wishing to mend any fences, do not do so by continuing to reference them in a demeaning manner.

@Piper2 I'm pretty sure those actually wishing to mend any fences, do not do so by continuing to reference them in a...

You're exactly right. All they have to do is stop their bad behavior...and move on. I'm sure if I unblocked those few that I have blocked, nothing would change, they would still be their mean miserable selves.

@2811818

We aren't allowed to have a fence in my neighborhood unless we have a pool.

If someone wants to mend a fence, it depends to me what did they did in the first place. If I can forgive, I will. If I can't, I'll move on. I won't forget, sure, but I'll focus my time on more happy stuff. I have enough stress in my life as it is.

@Sofia If someone wants to mend a fence, it depends to me what did they did in the first place. If I can forgive, I will...

You have a great attitude, my friend. And very smart as well.
Some people can't move on, they are stuck in stupid.

Some online people aren't interested in mending fences because the internet makes it too easy for them to act like a jerk.

@dru18 Some online people aren't interested in mending fences because the internet makes it too easy for them to act like...

You nailed it Dru. They are setting a great example for their kids. NOT.

But some just can't get over themselves, they seem obsessed with others who tell the truth.

I mended a couple of fences on another site. I apologized, admitted that I was wrong, and the apologizes were accepted with grace. So glad I took the first step....what a relief.

Only a strong person will admit when they are wrong, but a bully will never admit they did anything wrong.

@2811992

I admit....we are surrounded by jerks and idiots. I think they expose themselves with how they act on a web site. Bullying comes to mind. Hopefully, these jerks and idiots aren't that way in reality, but who knows?

@2812083

Wow, are you a hermit?

@2812127

Sorry, I misunderstood.

@2812308

(Marilyn Monroe accent) Well howdy cowboy, you great big hunk of masculinity. How's the world been treating you. lol