+4

Washington Post - "No matter what ..., we should automatically believe rape claims."

The thirst for blood and willingness to do anything to advance a political agenda is astounding to me. The democrat media has been circling Judge Kavananugh like sharks for a couple weeks now. And despite the fact that no one knows anymore than the fuzzy recollection of his accuser, the media reports that America is ready to 'convict' him.

The Man-Hating Media | RealClearPoliticsMayella Ewell accused Tom Robinson of raping her. She, a white woman with an aggressive family, made for a compelling victim against a black man in a segregated South. The state tried Robinson, white...https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2014/12/12/the_man-hating_media_124937.htmlImage for post Washington Post - "No matter what ..., we should automatically believe rape claims."
Budwicks avatar Health, Beauty & Fitness
10 52

It seems that the internet and the media together have actually brought back mob rule. I don't know if I totally blame the Dems for taking advantage of it because there is no doubt in my mind that the Reps would do the same if they had the media on their bench too. There is no honor in politics so everyone should stop pretending that their candidate is any better morally than the opposition. It's just a matter of who you dislike the most.

@Will_Janitor It seems that the internet and the media together have actually brought back mob rule. I don't know if I totally...

Will, I consider you a friend but you comment has me a bit upset.

You don't blame the dems cuz 'there is no doubt in your mind' that republicans would do the same. WHAT?

Bad enough that people are accused of ancient wrong doing with no corroboration at all - but now we have to deal with what you THINK we MIGHT do?

@Budwick Will, I consider you a friend but you comment has me a bit upset. You don't blame the dems cuz 'there is no doubt...

All I'm saying is that if the media were Pro Trump like they were Pro Obama that the republicans would take advantage of them just like the democrats do. The moral code for a politician of either party is an incredibly low bar. JMHO Nothing to get excited about. :)

@Will_Janitor All I'm saying is that if the media were Pro Trump like they were Pro Obama that the republicans would take...

I get it.

Still, no cookies for you - for a week!

Yeah, and these are the good ones!
Not some crap with fake chocolate!

Will, I think that when Republicans have called out Democrats (like Teddy Kennedy or Bill Clinton or Hillary, say) for scandalous behavior, there has been much more substantial proof of said behavior than there is against Kavanaugh.

@Will_Janitor No doubt, but things have changed a lot in the last 3 years.

It sure has... caused mostly by the Left's consternation that Trump is president, and so anything goes to thwart or (preferably) get him out of office entirely.

Hence the huge rise of yellow journalism in the MSM.

@Budwick This yellow journalism thing is nothing new.

Um... well, I wasn't exactly including the Weekly World News as MSM.

Just pointing out that the Washington Post and the NY Times, etc., have almost reached that level of late. biggrin smilie

NewSpeak seems to have reached that level some time ago.

@Thinkerbell Um... well, I wasn't exactly including the Weekly World News as MSM. Just pointing out that the Washington Post...

Google seems to think yellow journalism peaked during the Spanish American war.

Then Fox started lying about Obama.

Now, it's over. maniac smiliejolly smilie

@Budwick Google seems to think yellow journalism peaked during the Spanish American war. Then Fox started lying about...

Well, having read some of the things that were published in the contemporary papers about Lincoln, makes me think yellow journalism was even worse then than it is now.

https://www.theatlantic.com/mag...-idiot/309304/

@Thinkerbell Well, having read some of the things that were published in the contemporary papers about Lincoln, makes me think...

Wow, Lincoln suffered endless vituperation too!

People back then 'threatened' to leave the country if he was renominated - and never left!

Very interesting story. The more things seem to change, the more things seem to remain the same.

@Budwick Wow, Lincoln suffered endless vituperation too! People back then 'threatened' to leave the country if he was...

Well, some copperheads like Vallandigham did leave the country (they had to). They were anti-abolition, antiwar (Democrats, naturally).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clement_Vallandigham

Funny thing about the Democrats. During the Civil War, when they should have been liberal, they were conservative. Today, when they should be conservative, they are liberal.

They always get it wrong, it seems.   hehe smilie

I agree with you budwick not the washington post title haha. the media and liberals should be banned from reporting on such accusations until the court has determined innocence or guilt first.

There's a word for what the Washington Post is suggesting: prejudice. Guilt or innocence must be judged on evidence. Yes there are shitty men out there who rape women, but there are also shitty women out there who falsely accuse men of rape. It makes as much sense to always believe accusers as it does to always believe the accused. The only way to determine which situation you're dealing with is to weigh the evidence.

Mayella Ewell accused Tom Robinson of raping her. She, a white woman with an aggressive family, made for a compelling victim against a black man in a segregated South. The state tried Robinson, white men tried to lynch him, and it became quite clear at the trial that there was no way Robinson could have raped Mayella Ewell.

Notwithstanding the evidence, an all-white jury still found Robinson guilty. Robinson was eventually killed trying to escape jail. He was innocent of the crime.

In Kavanaugh's case, there is no evidence. The all-dem jury in the media has their hanging rope all ready to go.

@2813086

This alleged offense took place in Maryland. There is no statute of limitation on the crime he is alleged to have committed there. She could have pressed charges - but didn't.

Not only have 35 years or so passed, but she apparently is the only one that remembers the event at all. Her memory is fuzzy at best. The timing of her accusation is fishy as well.

And your concern is that the republican 'are opting for the fun of grilling a woman that was potentially a sexual assault/attempted rape victim." Prodigal, your attempts at being unbiased are usually better than that.

@2813131

If I were on that panel, I wouldn't ask her a single question regarding accusation.
I would ask questions about who she has spoken to since she sent the letter.
What was discussed.
Etc.
She spilled all her beans when she wrote the letter.
There's nothing else to say about it.

@2813143

Wouldn't testify in the first place?
There won't be some big reveal during the testimony. She may have some emotional drama or something - but no one will know anything more then than we do now.

Now for me, it would have to come down to who is more credible during the testimony. The democrats and media don't seem to require hearing any testimony. They've bought Dr. Ford's story after not hearing her speak a word about it.

For them, the testimony has already happened. Let's get on with destroying the next candidate!

It must this Washington Post column you and Erick Erickson are referring to..https://www.washingtonpost.com/...=.1bd8b2029b9a

I don't agree with much of what Ms Maxwell said 4 years, but I agree with some of it. Personally, I neither "automatically" believe OR disbelieve rape or attempted rape claims. The court of public and media opinion condemnation of those simply accused is nothing new for sure. There is that troubling fact of women AND men not being believed though, when they have been sexually violated in some way.

@Piper2 It must this Washington Post column you and Erick Erickson are referring...

Actually I was referring to the article I posted in the citation section.
https://www.realclearpolitics.c...ia_124937.html

Interesting that you point out that not believing people claiming sexual violation is a problem and pointing out that you "neither "automatically" believe OR disbelieve rape or attempted rape claims."

That's kind of the whole point, isn't it?

@Budwick Actually I was referring to the article I posted in the citation...

Both you and the 4 year old article in the citation section referred to her column.

It IS a problem. It is one of the reasons why women are and have been so often hesitant to speak out about it. Unless I personally know the accused or accuser very well ...there are various factors involved in who I end up believing.

@Piper2 Both you and the 4 year old article in the citation section referred to her column. It IS a problem. It is...

I can't say I understand the mindset of an abused woman. I can only imagine.

But, I CAN determine that nothing will be done about an unknown crime.

The expectation that the accusation should automatically be trusted as factual is silly!

Investigated - of course!
With discretion - absolutely!
Promptly - It must be!
[THAT is one really good reason I will not vote for Richard Cordray for Ohio Governor. When he was Ohio's Attorney General - 1,200 rape kits were left un-investigated! 1,200! That asshole should be in prison - not in a governors race.]

@Budwick I can't say I understand the mindset of an abused woman. I can only imagine. But, I CAN determine that nothing...

The "mindset"? Neither can I, as in having been actually raped. Being what few people would not consider "abused" both mentally and physically though..I do know what that is like. I'm sure many men do too.

I agree that an accusation should not automatically be "trusted", as I already said.

Hmm...at the last part. https://www.politifact.com/ohio...h-cordray-abo/

Until they have mandatory jail time for those who lie about sexual abuse/rape, equal to the maximum time an unjustly accused person could serve in jail, false accusations will continue.

I have to know the details first.

hootowls avatar hootowl Disagree +2Reply

I don't know why anyone would want to go through this, public scrutiny, speculation, and accusations for a job. Kavanaugh, will forever be a suspected sexual predator, or worse. Anyone else ever nominated for the Supreme Court should just say, thank, but not interested and go on with their life.

Now with this second woman coming forward with her story, I'm not sure kavanaugh is a sexual predator, but it does seem he was a very hard drinker as a minor and liked to wave his junk at girls. Kind of begs the question, is he still a black out drunk? Does he still troll for teenage girls?

@Flrdsgns I don't know why anyone would want to go through this, public scrutiny, speculation, and accusations for a job...

The second woman has already walked back from her claim.

But, I agree, the offhand character assassination of Kavanaugh has ruined his brand for life.

The fact that an unsubstantiated claim from out of the blue can ruin even a candidate for Supreme Court I think means that no one is safe from lynch mobs - no one. Get on the wrong side of someone with a little pull and you're toast.

I've seen the same thing happen right here on Amirite! No, not judicial candidates, just regular people like the rest of us - getting banned from the site for mere suspicion of connected members.

The current 36 years-later claims are strange. Only now being brought out. Girls here are some rules 1. don't get so drunk you don't know exactly what is happening 2. If you feel there has been a crime against you. Get outta there rite it all down and go to the police immediately. Of course I don't blame the women for getting raped, but we all have to think what actions will endanger us. Just like Don't walking the street without looking for a car

I think that it's horrible what's happening in the USA right now. But for what purpose I wonder.

"The all-dem jury in the media has their hanging rope all ready to go."

Of course they do... Having a 5-4 conservative majority on the SCOTUS would throw an intolerable monkey wrench into the progressive agenda, so such niceties as rules of evidence are worse than irrelevant, they are counterproductive.

@Thinkerbell "The all-dem jury in the media has their hanging rope all ready to go." Of course they do... Having a 5-4...

[are we allowed to say 'onkey-may ench-ray"?]
A couple weeks ago, monkeys were racist.
Are we over that now?

@Budwick [are we allowed to say 'onkey-may ench-ray"?] A couple weeks ago, monkeys were racist. Are we over that now?

Depends on politics. This monkey was always perfectly ok in progressive circles:
Still is.