Mazes avatar Philosophy
6 19

It's walking on hot coal and being banned from using some words because people have become so delicate that a mere word will liquefy their internal organs.

For me that is exactly what P.C. is. Treating people with respect. Using the basic good manners we learned as children. That should extend to all aspects of life, including politics.

Yeah, being PC is just being respectful. Sadly, any time a disrespectful person gets called out on being a horrible person, they feel attacked, so political correctness has a negative connotation to many.

@Skr3wBall Yeah, being PC is just being respectful. Sadly, any time a disrespectful person gets called out on being a horrible...

To me it seems hypocritical to be cruel and disrespectful to people who you're demanding be kind and respectful to you.

@Maze To me it seems hypocritical to be cruel and disrespectful to people who you're demanding be kind and respectful to you.

That's right, you can't force tolerance by terror and fear, plenty of people resist for the sole reason that some prick is trying to tell them what to think.

I disagree. You're equating two sets of beliefs that are not morally or ethically equal. Yes a person has the right to believe whatever he or she chooses but that doesn't meant those beliefs are right. In fact, some beliefs are illogical, ignorant, cruel, unethical and or immoral. Some are harmful to a civilized society. Racism, sexism, heterosexism, etc...are not deserving of respect or kindness because they are inherently disrespectful and unkind.

@Chris_the_Demon I disagree. You're equating two sets of beliefs that are not morally or ethically equal. Yes a person has the...

Lead by example. If there are standards of speech and conduct in a civilized society, follow them. Otherwise you don't have any grounds to ask others to follow them.

"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. For he causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

"If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?" -Jesus (Matthew 5:43-47)

Well, it's about being disrespectful because of someone's identity or because of how someone conducts themselves. If you disrespect someone for having a mental disability or being black, that's indefensibly wrong. If you disrespect someone who hurts people or tries to ruin people's lives, I see no issue with that. PC is defending identities, not just being nice to anyone, bigots don't deserve that same respect.

@Skr3wBall Well, it's about being disrespectful because of someone's identity or because of how someone conducts themselves...

Well here's the kicker, now the PC people use racist,sexist,homophobic,misogynist as an insult, once the label has been attached you're free to attack said person because there's nothing wrong with being angry at bad people.

It's super easy, if I look close enough and find a word I can choose to interpret the wrong way I can attach a label on you and curse you into submission.

When you speak of being disrespectful because of how someone conducts themselves, when was the last time you heard of people on the right using violence and intimidation to silence their political opponents? I see the left do it routinely, it's virtually impossible for anyone who's politics are anywhere to the right of Mao to speak at a university. And I'm not talking about people who are advocating racism or anything like that, just mainstream conservatives or even liberals who don't agree with the radical left. Does the left deserve to be treated with respect after displaying such abhorrent intolerance?

@Maze When you speak of being disrespectful because of how someone conducts themselves, when was the last time you heard...

I've never seen the Left use violence and intimidation to silence people who aren't distinctly bigoted, but why would they give a platform to someone they disagree with in the first place? No one owes anyone a platform, other than the government. The far right has also used violence and terrorism to attack those on the left, you might remember the woman who died at (and due to) an alt-right rally. Also the KKK is an iconic example of the right using violence and intimidation to silence their opponents, the right is probably more known for the tactic than the left historically.

Regardless, the right literally argues about whether gay people should have the same rights as straight people, whether or not people of color belong in the country. The left has used violence against people who share beliefs with Nazis, if you remember World War 2, you'd know that's almost a distinct American value. Those aren't comparable offenses. Does the right deserve to be treated with respect after routinely trying to strip so many human beings of human rights?

@Skr3wBall I've never seen the Left use violence and intimidation to silence people who aren't distinctly bigoted, but why...

"I've never seen the Left use violence and intimidation to silence people who aren't distinctly bigoted"

Oh, okay, here you go: YouTube video thumbnail

Do you see how that works? The left applies a label to someone, doesn't matter if it's true or not, and then they have the right to use violence to silence them.

Imagine there's a right wing group who called themselves "Anticom" who label everyone who's left leaning a communist and believes that gives them justification to violently attack them and prevent them from speaking, would that be acceptable? Or would you say that putting a label on someone doesn't make it okay to violate their rights?

People have differing opinions, but they don't have differing rights. So disagree all you like, but when you use violence to silence people, you're objectively worse than they are. They have the right to free speech, you don't have a right to initiate force against anyone.

@Maze "I've never seen the Left use violence and intimidation to silence people who aren't distinctly bigoted" Oh...

Milo Yiannopoulos is your example? The pedophile? The breitbart writer? The person who verbally attacked Leslie Jones? The person who gets his writing ideas from neo-nazis and white supremacists? The same guy with a homophobic slur in his tour name? You just proved my point that the left only threatens people who are radically bigoted, not just random people they don't like, Milo is an awful human being and it's absurd to say people who protest his speech are in any way worse than him. The left didn't apply the bigot label to Milo, he's self-associated with the alt-right politically, the left is just willing to acknowledge that and shut that bigoted nonsense down. He has a right to free speech, and he chose not to use it in a place where he was protested, which is also a right we have here. Free speech relates to government interference, and the government didn't shut him up, he was just too scared to show his face, that's his own choice.

Anyway, attacking communists is literally nothing new in America, the Cold War wasn't that long ago. To that point, it's not uncommon for those on the right to regularly harass people on the left, I'm sure Deray McKesson and Anita Sarkeesian can 100% attest to that. However, attacking someone for believing that communism is a viable economic ideology and attacking someone for believing that people of color shouldn't exist in America are not even remotely similar things. If your values undermine the humanity of someone due to their race, sex, gender, religion, sexuality or any inherent aspect of their identity, you have to understand the consequences of doing that. It's not differing opinions, a person's humanity isn't an opinion, the rights they're entitled to aren't subjective.

@Skr3wBall Milo Yiannopoulos is your example? The pedophile? The breitbart writer? The person who verbally attacked Leslie...

"It's not differing opinions, a person's humanity isn't an opinion, the rights they're entitled to aren't subjective."

Exactly. Milo's rights aren't subjective, they don't come and go based on what label you put on him or what opinion he holds. He has the same rights as you do. He has the right to free thought and free speech, just like you do. He has the right to personal safety, and so do you. Nobody has a right to initiate force against him or you, Deray McKesson, Anita Sarkeesian or anyone, no matter what label is put on them. I don't condone that kind of behavior no matter who is doing it, and neither should you.

That wouldn't be away from the truth, a lot of people use the buzz words as a justification to rain hell on those who don't follow their ideology and feel super self righteous for being an ass. Nothing is good once taken to the extreme. People take your words out of context on purpose so they can yell at you.

Anonymous