+7

I bring up James Dean because yesterday at 5:45 sixty three year ago he died in a violent car crash. Could it have been prevented? No drugs or alcohol were found in his system and speed was not a factor. The other driver, who was never held responsible, made a left into Dean's pathway. The crappy made Porsche that Dean was driving crumpled up like a pack of cigarettes.
Would he still be alive if he had made the decision to drive his station wagon and tow the Spyder as he had originally planned on doing? Perhaps taken a different route at another time? If you took a trip back in time could you talk him out of driving that car? Or was it just his time?

Image for post I bring up James Dean because yesterday at 5:45 sixty three year ago he died in a violent car crash. Could it have been prevented? No drugs or alcohol were found in his system and speed was not a factor. The other driver, who was never held responsible, made a left into Dean's pathway. The crappy made Porsche that Dean was driving crumpled up like a pack of cigarettes. 

dru18s avatar Life
5 26

That would make a good scientific study, Dru. We pick out a statistical number of deaths in the past and go back in time to try and change their outcome by delaying or convincing them to do something else. Then we wait and see what happens. If it's fate, we will know fairly quickly, and if it's no we will have changed history for good or ill.

Personally, I don't believe in fate, but I'd give it a good test. :)

@Will_Janitor That would make a good scientific study, Dru. We pick out a statistical number of deaths in the past and go back...

Thank you, Will. :) No, I don't think I do either. I think we make our own death, although in James Dean's case he played no role other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

From everything I read about his personality he was very shy and not too trusting, so it might be hard to even approach him. But he also was interested in the afterlife and the supernatural, so that might be our opening.

I would like think in a young person's case we could turn things around.

Bad things happen to everyone. We'll never know....when it's our time to go, nothing will prevent it.

@StarzAbove Bad things happen to everyone. We'll never know....when it's our time to go, nothing will prevent it.

That could well be true, death could have found him in another form.

The only people I would love to test that theory on is young people who definitely go way too early.

@Will_Janitor That's a good thought.

Maybe someday we can make it a reality. Old age is one thing, when our bodies naturally start to break down, being taken as a baby, child, or young adult is another. I honestly don't know why science isn't any closer to time travel.

@dru18 That could well be true, death could have found him in another form. The only people I would love to test that...

And it seems as though lately there are a lot of really young people dying too soon. In a neighboring town a father killed his two kids, a son 15 years old and a daughter 13 then shot himself. Again, two innocent kids murdered.

I think it was just his time! Like Audie Murphy and Buddy Holly. Shit happens. Tis destiny!

@2815364

I kinda of disagree with that last remark. Speed was not the factor in this accident, only that A. Donald Turnupseed made a left into Dean's path, and B. his car folded up like an accordion. The station wagon would not have been made of fiberglass and would have at least been as big as the other car.

Although I do agree that cars have come a long way when it comes to safety.

I think almost everything that happens is the result of timing. If he had left his home 10 seconds later or earlier, the timing wouldn't have been there to meet the other vehicle as it crossed over the lane.

@dru18 Than you are saying it was fate.

I don't think I really believe in fate. I just think the timing and circumstances of an event often dictates what happens. It's the same when a bystander saves a child's life by snatching them from an oncoming car. If the bystander hadn't been walking on that particular sidewalk at that particular time.....

@JustJimColo I don't think I really believe in fate. I just think the timing and circumstances of an event often dictates what...

Dean did stop for a soda earlier and the stopover was 15 minutes long. So what you are sayin is if he had stayed an extra few minutes he would possibly still be alive today

@JustJimColo Yep, and maybe if he would have just stayed an extra 15 seconds...

Then I am all for you to go back in time and strike up a conversation with him at that stop.

... I took the trip back in time and was the one who talked him into driving the Spyder.

@Walt_OReagun ... I took the trip back in time and was the one who talked him into driving the Spyder.

You must have been his passenger, the mechanic. His life didn't end too well either.

According to the many-universe hypothesis, there are many universes parallel to ours in which James Dean wasn't killed in that accident. And many others in which he wasn't ever born at all.

Maybe we just happen to be in a universe in which he was born and was killed in that accident.