Doing something bad doesn't automatically make you a bad person. And doing something good doesn't automatically makes you a good person.

For example: Hitler liked dogs and treated his dog well. In no way whatsoever he stopped being a monster thanks to that. Your past counts. Your character counts. So its beyond me, why people think one good or bad action is enough to brand that person for life. (some actions, though, speak for themselves and are enough to brand someone).

Sofias avatar People & Celebrities
10 11

I have a criminal record on two different accounts.

Perhaps Janis and Amy should be horrified.

I get your logic, I can agree with that. It also depends on why are you doing something good. Because you dont want "X" to suffer? Because you're trying to buy yourself some good karma\self-satisfaction? Because you want publicity? (insert a girl taking a selfie on instagram of herself giving a sandwich to a homeless person).
My morality is the following, if you don't necessarily don't do good deeds at least don't do anything bad, for me that retains a status of a good person. (Does helping old ladies cross streets or climb stairs count?).
A lot of times I feel awkward doing something, that's probably why I've preferred not doing something, then I feel bad about it. Like a week ago or so there was a kitten that kept meowing in front of a store, I feel terrible for not buying it anything to eat.

@Sunny_the_skeptic I get your logic, I can agree with that. It also depends on why are you doing something good. Because you dont want...

The intent is one of the main points of what makes the character of someone. That instagram example fits perfectly here. People doing good deeds only with the intent of getting the fame. I won't stop anyone from doing something good, no matter the reasoning behind it, but that doesn't make them a good person just for the action in itself.

@Sofia The intent is one of the main points of what makes the character of someone. That instagram example fits perfectly...

BTW one thing I do that I don't notice, in the examples above that I give, I constantly use "you" but mean a hypothetical person not "you" as Sofia. I hope you don't take it as in I'm criticizing you or anything.

As for the rest, there was a saying like "does the tree make a sound when it falls if no one hears it" but I also agree with you even if it's about publicity it's still worth it because it's like the person is tricked into doing something good regardless if it's for their gain.

Then again when we hear about a silent hero doing stuff we want that person to be known because we feel that they deserve the glory. That's exactly the case in my country with the well known Grandpa Dobri (Dyado Dobri) that I made a post about when he passed away.

@Sunny_the_skeptic BTW one thing I do that I don't notice, in the examples above that I give, I constantly use "you" but mean a...

Lol, no, I got what you were saying.

Silent heroes are the ones that truly deserve the glory. It's a tendency that the people that will do anything for glory don't deserve it.

@Sofia Lol, no, I got what you were saying. Silent heroes are the ones that truly deserve the glory. It's a tendency that...

Then you get sad because those silent heroes, the real ones don't want glory and don't want the attention they receive. In the case of the man I mentioned to you the effect was positive since a lot more people took an initiative to donate.

I believe that to be true as well, for the most part. I also agree with the commenter who mentioned "shades of grey".

(Hitler may have loved his dogs, but using his supposed favorite dog Blondi to test out the cyanide capsules doesn't sound very "loving" to me.)

Anonymous