Has chance\faith pushed you into doing something you had to do but you were too anxious to do it? (press MORE for story)

I started my 4th out of 6 years dental school and this year we have work with patients.... aka living people. No more dry theory and mannequins this is the real deal. And you could imagine that I'm pretty nervous because I now have to put what I read into practice. A colleague of mine had an extra patient for the same day so I had to take her for clinical practice of oral surgery. Although it was just anamnesis and intra oral examination my mind went blank as if I have learned nothing all these 3 years. In the end the job was done, I got her info and designated 3 teeth due for extraction next week.

The doctors responsible for us are very tough like they're supposed to be, we basically got our asses handed to us.... theoretically. From the side dentistry might look simple but we are still doctors and we need to know tons of stuff before we even look in the general direction of a patient.

Image for post Has chance\faith pushed you into doing something you had to do but you were too anxious to do it? (press MORE for story)
75% Yes (give example) 25% no
Sunny_the_skeptics avatar Education
6 25
@2815538

Definitely will try, it's interesting but also scary because if the patient has high blood pressure the adrenaline in the anesthetic could make the heart go kaboom

@2815543

Bozette makes my heart go kaboom.

@2816010

Sent you e-mail.

Nothing sensible, just random gibberish.

That's common for first time for anything that you believe is important. You will do well because you are conscientious and care. It's the people that don't really care that you have to watch out for. Good luck!

Will_Janitors avatar Will_Janitor Yes (give example) +2Reply

Face glued to anatomy atlases as a youngster, I studied anatomy, nursing, and medical terminology. Though I didn’t pursue a career in healthcare, I bid you the best in yours. I’m with Will in that you’ll defo succeed. Now go get that DDS!

@Masha Face glued to anatomy atlases as a youngster, I studied anatomy, nursing, and medical terminology. Though I...

Thank you Masha You were studying medical subjects? What career were you pursuing? Hope all worked out for you in the end.

@Sunny_the_skeptic Thank you Masha You were studying medical subjects? What career were you pursuing? Hope all worked out for you in...

I thought about either going into pharmacy, autism studies, furthering my path in nursing, or shooting for an MD. Realising it didn’t quite resonate at the time, I chose a different path — the arts. Yet, I still have the university credits lest I want to pursue a medical career.

So, what's the question, then? This was a statement, right? A rather dull one, as such. If I get shot in the same shoulder for the fourth time, can you patch me up or not?

@ZonkeyBalls So, what's the question, then? This was a statement, right? A rather dull one, as such. If I get shot in the same...

The question is right there, has chance or faith or whatever you believe in pushed you into doing something you were afraid to do.

I don't understand Sunny.
Was your recommendation incorrect?
Why did you get in trouble?

@Budwick I don't understand Sunny. Was your recommendation incorrect? Why did you get in trouble?

I didn't get in trouble, just that we weren't prepared for all the things we were required to know, things that we don't have enough experience with or facts from other past exams that were forgotten. As for my diagnosis, the elder lady had 3 of her teeth shaking already and have to be removed which will be followed with the proper denture.

@Sunny_the_skeptic I didn't get in trouble, just that we weren't prepared for all the things we were required to know, things that we...

OK, I get it now.
Of course they couldn't possibly teach you about every conceivable scenario.
What they can do is give you experience in dealing with what comes your way and expecting you to deal with what you can and ask about the rest.
I understand, worst case scenario OJT in most jobs might lose some money.
In YOUR profession, it's there's a LOT more at stake.

I don't know why I've taken such an interest in you Sunny, but I'm really enjoying your progress through school and have great hopes for your professional future.

I'm glad you're getting the old gal some new choppers!