Mazes avatar Philosophy
9 20

If you ask Janis, I'm good. If you ask that sugar-whatever, I'm bad. It all comes down to perspective. I don't think there is such thing as absolute good or bad, even Hitler loved his dog and made lovely drawings of the places he had conquered, after killing the residents from spoiling the view.

@ZonkeyBalls If you ask Janis, I'm good. If you ask that sugar-whatever, I'm bad. It all comes down to perspective. I don't...

I have just discovered what Finns regard as the ultimate good (um... well, maybe while watching Finland beating Sweden in a hockey game):

kalsarikänni

https://www.theguardian.com/lif...-the-new-hygge

@Thinkerbell I have just discovered what Finns regard as the ultimate good (um... well, maybe while watching Finland beating...

Too bad The Guardian doesn't bother to use umlauts, even though it's completely possible. Kalsarikänni.

@Thinkerbell ??? They used an umlaut.

Goddamnit, I need to clean my glasses soon. After a while, I can't even distinguish my right hand from my left.

EDIT: That did make my perception much clearer. It's weird, how much unwanted crap ends up on your goggles. Sorry!!

@2817899

Oh, come on, Syn!   There are no as*holes in Canada!

Um... except for Justin, of course.

@2818185

It matters not... we're talking about as*holes here.  Everyone has one of those. hello smilie

It looks like everyone is coming up with a pretty good stab at a really big question.

I found a good article written from a Christian perspective you might find interesting;
https://biblemirror.com/article...ing-good-evil/

However we're figuring it out for ourselves, we better get it right - cuz we will be held accountable.

I dont know of i can define either. They both have endless ways of being.
I think a good person can be driven to do evil things. I think an evil person can be compelled to do good things.

I think that good is rooted in love, and the non-aggression principle is the practical standard of good behavior.

[Wikipedia] The non-aggression principle is an ethical stance that asserts that aggression is inherently wrong. In this context, "aggression" is defined as initiating or threatening any forcible interference with an individual or individual's property.

As a society, we have a right to delegate the enforcement of our rights. So your property rights and your right to self defense are partially delegated to police, border control, and military. None of these things is bad as long as they're obeying the non-aggression principle.

The police are doing good when they stop people who are violating the rights of others. Border control is doing good when they keep foreigners from violating your property rights by entering without permission. Military is doing good when they work to defend your nation from danger. And the good they do is rooted in love: the desire to protect the innocent.

When the non-aggression principle is broken, that's what evil is. When individuals, or those who they delegate power to, threaten people, initiate violence against them, or interfere with their property, that is evil. And it's rooted in the absence of love.

Our actions and words will define which is which.

Anonymous