+5

Tell me why you don't worship Zeus, Jupiter, or Odin, and I will tell you why I don't worship your god.
Except that the god of the old testament made those other gods look like nice guys by comparison. His stories are much more vengeful and his punishments much more horrific than any of the other myths I have read.

Image for post Tell me why you don't worship Zeus, Jupiter, or Odin,  and I will tell you why I don't worship your god.  

Except that the god of the old testament made those other gods look like nice guys by comparison.  His stories are much more vengeful and his punishments much more horrific than any of the other myths I have read.
VicZincs avatar Religion
3 17

Please, don't compare Zeus to other Gods. Athena came fully formed right out of his forehead!

@PhilboydStudge Please, don't compare Zeus to other Gods. Athena came fully formed right out of his forehead!

Well, I don't know about Zeus— he was kind of a klutz— but Athena?
Now there is one fine goddess!

I haven't heard of a story of any God where they were squeaky clean so it's beyond me why anyone claims the God they believe in is good.

On a different note, this reminded me of an episode I had on SH: I saw a Christian lady making fun of a guy that believed in Norse Mythology. I pointed out the irony and hypocrisy in the situation and she was not happy with me, tried to excuse her behaviour, saying Mythology isn't real. Well, the thing I see with Mythology and Religion, is that they're the same, only the stage of the belief changes. It's a Religion while the masses believe in it, and when the belief is gone it becomes Mythology.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +3Reply
@VicZinc

As someone who grew up with plenty of Christians around... I can say I've seen enough of that behaviour. It's not appealing.

I don't discuss my beliefs on the internet.

People tend to worship the God of the religion they were raised in. The Greek religion died out centuries ago, so it's no short wonder that it lacks contemporary followers. Now religions that promise doom for not believing (Islam, Christianity) and advocate for spread at most costs (again Islam, Christianity) are probably going to come to dominate. And look there, they have!

@Tibby People tend to worship the God of the religion they were raised in. The Greek religion died out centuries ago, so...

Heck, the secular religion that failed tried much the same. (see Vic's god, below)

Proselytizing: "Workers of the world, unite! " (by force, if nothing else works)
Doom for non-believers: i.e., a gulag, or at least a re-education camp.

I don't care who you worship and I certainly don't care enough to discuss any worship with you.

I don't care what you worship.
You are fully aware of who God is and the Salvation Jesus has offered you - and you've turned it down. That's on you pal.

I hope you have a really good day. Cuz, your eternity ain't looking so good.Image in content

@Budwick I don't care what you worship. You are fully aware of who God is and the Salvation Jesus has offered you - and...

I’m guessing that the point is that his rejection of one religious message is no different than a person from one particular religion rejecting the messages of every other religion they do not follow. A Muslim may look at a Christian and say "but how can you reject Muhammad's message?" It's unfathomable to them. This kind of question is an attempt to fathom it.

@Tibby I’m guessing that the point is that his rejection of one religious message is no different than a person from one...

If only that were true Theobald.

I'm not sure where Vic comes down on the whole religious thing.
Maybe he's not sure either.

But, I've had enough debates with him on religion to know that he is totally disingenuous. I enjoy discussions on many topics including religion with anyone willing to discuss it honestly.

I seriously doubt Vic is trying to fathom anything. Vic is pretty sure he has all the answers already.

Thanks for your interest in the discussion though!

I couldn't care less... who or what, you do or don't worship.

I sure don't need your ignorant information or advice on what I chose to worship.

Yes, Vic, I understand... you prefer to worship human beings.  For example: