If something is sacred ... do you pollute it?!?

The river Ganges is considered sacred and is personified as the goddess Gaṅgā. She is worshiped by Hindus who believe that bathing in the river causes the remission of sins and facilitates Moksha (liberation from the cycle of life and death), and that the water of the Ganges is considered very pure.

So why is it one of the most polluted rivers in the world?
Do they believe Ganga will magically remove the pollution, or bless it somehow?
Or maybe they're trying to give everybody superpowers, via toxic waste (like in comics)?

Or is it just another example of the difference between what people say they believe, and how they actually live their lives?

Walt_OReaguns avatar Religion
2 14

Boz, you're right, greed has no real political ideology, profit is all that matters to corporations.
Bud, you're also right, we all could be more mindful of waste and destruction.
I do believe the relaxation of government regulations is causing more harm than good though.

@Flrdsgns Boz, you're right, greed has no real political ideology, profit is all that matters to corporations. Bud, you're...

That's a pretty broad brush Flanders. I think reasonable regulation is a good thing for all parties. Too many, too restrictive, too burdensome, etc regulations are not.
Get more specific and we'll talk.

@Budwick no

The abundance of food recalls and people being hospitalized because of it should tell you something.

I don't believe in polluting anything.

Well, the Holy Land certainly seems to be a shitstorm, for lack of a more nuanced word.

We are not always so adept and protecting things we value, even those that we give religious reverence to.

I don't and I can't control what other people choose to do.
/
The world is far from being perfect.

@2818587

That's unfair Flanders.

Do you own furniture? Does that make you complicit in the destruction of forests?
Or, is it more like we all need to be more mindful and careful how we use our resources?