+9

What is your scariest encounter with a wild animal?

Image for post What is your scariest encounter with a wild animal?
ThePrinceofWaless avatar Animals & Nature
6 46
The voters have decided that ThePrinceofWales is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@2818940

Wow I would have ridden away ASAP.

I was about 12, I was at a camp by the river.

I was fishing on the bank by the next camp down.
I went back to get some bait or something, I started running back to where I was fishing.

All of a sudden a snake pops up in front of me about 10 feet away.
I just froze and this evil looking thing was staring at me, almost at eye level.

I just slowly backed away, then turned around and started running.

I never said anything to anyone because if I did, I knew I wouldn't be allowed to go back fishing.

DandyDons avatar DandyDon Yeah You Are +7Reply

I've been bitten by a couple of council estate dogs and a rather large wild garden spider before today Blew.
乂ᴼ ₒ ᴼ乂

Adas avatar Ada Yeah You Are +6Reply
@2818941

Yeah spiders in England are totally non poisonous so I was just taking the piss Boz. I am sorry to hear about your experience though and certainly didn't mean to make light of how dangerous spiders can be in other countries.
乂ᵒ◡ᵒ乂

Adas avatar Ada Yeah You Are +1Reply

I have a few.

One, I was walking my dog around the block ... and a black bear poked its head out of some tall brush (wetland) and looked at us. I backed away, keeping an eye on the bear - but not looking it directly in the eye.

Another time, I was walking my dog at a campground ... came around a blind corner ... and there was a bull elk grazing next to the path. He was getting ready to charge, and I fired my handgun to startle him ... giving us enough time to retreat around the corner, so we weren't "threatening" him.

A third time, I was walking my dog in a different neighborhood ... and was charged by a neighbor's dog. They were outside working on their vehicle, but refused to call their dog. I was forced to use my handgun to defend myself. After I wounded their dog, and it retreated, they called the cops. (The cops sided with me)

I'm not a fan of snakes, saw one in a shed when I was a kid, ran straight out

Ive come too close to a michigan rattler for my own good...more than once.

I was visiting my bestie when she lived in wv. Her boys and the two of us were driving in the mountains and came upon several vehicles pulled to the side of the road. They were all out of their cars checking out a big black bear in the middle of the road. So we got out, and were checking him out too. Well...im a kneeler, so i knelt. Well....this bear mustof thought i was inviting him over for a coke, or a brawl, because he charged. Fortunately, we were far enough away and there were other cars and such, so he stopped half way and meandered back to the woods.
But i will tell you, the four of us jumped into the car quickly as did everyone else that was there.
Lesson...never look like you are giving a bear a reason to introduce himself:[!

No wild animals, just a dog chasing me on my bike when I was young. When I got to my home, I jumped off the bike and threw it on the dog. He went away yelping. lol

@2818978

I always like surfing Trestles. Warm water and the breakers held up well. Better if you're goofy foot though.

@2818994

yep, and even bigger in the Sloughs

Went to my son's house last week, and when I pulled in the driveway, there was a mama bear and her 2 cubs in the Cherry trees. Not terribly scary though, those 3 bears have been in the area the last couple months.

Most of my encounters revolve around rattlesnakes on the farm.

@JustJimColo Most of my encounters revolve around rattlesnakes on the farm.

They told me that was their farm and you were trespassing.

@dru18 They told me that was their farm and you were trespassing.

I know to look for them, but we have small children who visit the farm and like to fish down there. Always worries me. Snakes out in the pasture are fine, but when they start encroaching around the cabin and where the pets are, it's time to remove them.

@dru18 No kidding! Isn't there something that can drive snakes away?

If there was, I could make a fortune marketing it. They sell a lot of junk that doesn't work at all. (Kind of like hair growing formulas for bald guys.)

@JustJimColo If there was, I could make a fortune marketing it. They sell a lot of junk that doesn't work at all. (Kind of like...

What about ultrasounds like the ones that drive moles away? Cats have been known to drive snakes away but I know you don't want any kitty cats on your farm.

@dru18 What about ultrasounds like the ones that drive moles away? Cats have been known to drive snakes away but I know...

Yeah.... LOL I bought one of those. It was supposed to keep mice away. A mouse chewed through the cord. It ended up on the pile of junk that just doesn't work. Remember that snakes don't have ears, they just feel sounds through their jaws.

I've been too close for comfort to bears on multiple occasions. Both grizzly and black, luckily they've always decided to leave. The only time I've been truly afriad from an animal is the one time I wasn't making my way back to camp as the sun wasn't going down and I had to walk through an unexpected marshy area that made the going really slow. Just when it was about half way through the wet spot I heard the unmistakable chilling scream of a mountain lion / cougar. Never saw the animal but did that ever get my heart racing.

Encounters yes, scary no.

@2819453

That's bullshit, that_guy. Pure bullshit.

@2819436

I have never heard of a person attack by a wolf. You wouldn't happen to know Mike56, would you?

Not many wild animals that would hurt me in my town. But this stupid old moose came into town and he ran around the schoolyard once. He probably wouldn't mean to hurt any one just they get so excited in a busy spot they could run onto into a kid. Think they finally found and shot that one.

A mother moose gave me a warning one time in Alaska. And I heeded it.

Anonymous