My stocks are doing so-so, near all time highs and growing at same rate for 10 years or so. No complaints but not getting rich. My grocery bills are definitely up 20% or more. Healthcare cost is way up and raising at a rate faster than the last 5 years. Not that I need the money but overall I am not feeling any financial pain nor am I feeling the need to celebrate a windfall. How about you?

Image for post My stocks are doing so-so, near all time highs and growing at same rate for 10 years or so. No complaints but not getting rich. My grocery bills are definitely up 20% or more. Healthcare cost is way up and raising at a rate faster than the last 5 years.  Not that I need the money but overall I am not feeling any financial pain nor am I feeling the need to celebrate a windfall. How about you?
0% I am way better off 38% Doing better overall 25% Same ol' 6% A bit worse 6% Way worse 25% Is this a trick questions
VicZincs avatar Money & Economics
2 24

Well sir, im in about the same boat. But as well as my health insurance and grocery bill....material costs and gasoline prices are offsetting the small price increases on the work i do. And my homeowners insurance rose about 20% and my auto insurance 10%. Property tax also rose about 8%.

Carlas avatar Carla A bit worse +5Reply
@VicZinc Sorry to hear that, we have to pay for the millionaires' tax cut somehow.

Yes we do. Still not gonna cover it though. So much for the rants the tea party went off on regarding debt and deficit during the last administration.
Reckon they had to have some kind of excuse for the hate.

Carlas avatar Carla A bit worse +1Reply

I'm in a unique situation. Now that I've retired, it's a new ballgame. My 401K has gone up pretty substantially, and my healthcare costs have diminished. (I selected the same HMO I've had for years, but the Medicare version has a zero monthly premium ... and my former employer contributes up to $200 per month for out-of-pocket medical expenses like prescriptions.) Groceries are more expensive, but I use a lot less gas and get a huge discount on it once a month by using my Ralph's credit card. I haven't had to eliminate any of my charitable contributions. So overall, I'd have to say I'm doing better for the time being. a smilie

JanHaskells avatar JanHaskell Doing better overall +4Reply
@2819816

Wow...organic milk is 2.59 here. Plain old milk you can get for 1.29. My sister was in western canada this summer. She said the cheese was priced almost like good beef, here.
I find it apalling that we are this close, and you easily could benefit from our milk glut.

Carlas avatar Carla A bit worse +4Reply
@2819831

More republican polices, rev. Everyone suffers. Except, of course, the mega corps.

Carlas avatar Carla A bit worse +2Reply
@2819833

Shameful

Carlas avatar Carla A bit worse +1Reply
@2819816

Food and gasoline have gone up here too, but not as drastically as yours.

Flrdsgnss avatar Flrdsgns Same ol' +2Reply
@2819894

Hope you have a prosperous year.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Same ol' +2Reply

Not much as changed except grocery prices are way out of line, the cost of gas is ridiculous. It goes up and down we never know what the price is going to be. A member of my family....a Republican is very mad about the tax cuts for the wealthy....it has made things worse for himself and his business. Plus the tariffs will hurt him even more. Said just the other night, he regrets voting for Trump.

We are very middle-class and are holding our own so far. Healthcare skyrocketed, according to local medical guy, because someone has to pay for all the freebies being given out to the newbies. Those unpaid for birthrate citizens have to be paid for somehow.
Property taxes are also over the top, someone has to pay for the new students education along with that healthcare.
I really won't know if I've won or lost until I file my 2018 taxes. That will be the be the real test.

@2819987

The Fed funds rate is only one of several tools use to steer the economy. Money supply also comes into play as does trade imbalance and debt maintenance.

Looking at one tool does not tell the whole story.

The president often gets the credit or blame for the economy because they appoint the fed chair and because they influence congress and tax policies that the fed must react to.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Same ol' 0Reply