What do you think would have to happen in order for a new "universal" language, like English, to slowly begin coming into effect?

shelbybuckffss avatar Language
4 33

Become an economic superpower and blackmail all countries to learn English as a second language or make their life an economic hell.

@Flrdsgns That seems to be the American way

I'm kinda ok with that, might not be a good way but unifying the world with 1 language would be awesome. Plus I'm very comfortable with English, to me it's like a second native language.

Do you think any language could ever "take over" English? I know English is only considered the universal language because of English colonization and such, so what would have to happen for a different (whether an already established or a completely new) language to become the main language of the world?

There already is a "universal" language. Esperanto.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en...ersal-language

The only universal language is Math.

@2820470

Ooooh! I would love to hear your insight. Is there a particular language you think it on the up and up to take English over?

I have no idea. I hope it never happens.
Italians should speak Italian [assuming that's their preference]. Same for other countries / languages.

I find it hard to believe that people from anyplace would willingly give up their native language presumably for the benefit of some lame new world order. Language is part of peoples culture. I am not in favor of forcing people to change their culture. [I know that wasn't the question, but imagining such a dystopian society is the stuff sci-fi is made of.

@Budwick I have no idea. I hope it never happens. Italians should speak Italian [assuming that's their preference]. Same...

Absolutely it is dystopian to think about! The way English became the biggest language was terrible and vile and not at all good. I certainly hope nothing of the sort happens again. I'm just curious if people think it's possible that some country/group/society/etc. could eventually have the power to do such a thing. Interesting to think about, at least!

@shelbybuckffs Absolutely it is dystopian to think about! The way English became the biggest language was terrible and vile and...

You wrote - "The way English became the biggest language was terrible and vile and not at all good."

I see - I'm guessing you see the United States as the world bully, and anything good that happened was because we did it at the expense of everyone else.

I don't subscribe to that ideology.

@Budwick You wrote - "The way English became the biggest language was terrible and vile and not at all good." I see - I'm...

I don't necessarily think that way, although I do think the US is involved in a lot of things that it shouldn't be.
The US didn't really have much to do with the way English became "the" language - that was all the doing of English colonization.

@shelbybuckffs I don't necessarily think that way, although I do think the US is involved in a lot of things that it shouldn't...

So your concern is in regards to England's behavior 400 years ago?
Do you think the people in the colonized areas have adapted by now?

@2820598

Why not, I mean to say, how would it be decided? I think there are far more people speaking Chinese in the world than there are people speaking English, so by weight of numbers it would make sense for the universal language to be the one that most people speak?

@2820951

Haha, by that logic there are more people that talk Butterfly if you remove everything other than Butterflies out of the equation :)

@2820957

Yes, agreed, but still more people speak the language, so by my way of thinking, less people would be inconvenienced if the universal language was the one spoken by most people?

@2820993

I don't know that I can produce an argument to counter what you are saying, so at this point shall concede :)

For people to acknowledge that mathematics is THE universal language.

What I wish was a universal sign language. Learning ASL was the coolest thing I did in college because it can be used so widely! However, ASL is American Sign Language which means it's only practice in the United States. Other countries have different signs for the same word. I'm hoping in the future is for sign language to become universal, even taught in schools at young ages. Everyone can benefit from it AND it provides inclusivity to those in the Deaf community.