I'm ah.... bit of a junior dentist now. Today I extracted my first teeth from a patient.

So yeah today I finally performed my first anesthesia and tooth extraction, breaching the barrier between theory and practice for the first time even though I was being helped by our teachers every step of the way. I was very nervous but I think I'll be more confident with every new extraction.

Image for post I'm ah.... bit of a junior dentist now. Today I extracted my first teeth from a patient.
Sunny_the_skeptics avatar Education
10 28

Way to go Sunny! I had some teeth pulled - not fun. But, I've got to imagine actually DOING the procedure for the first time is equally unnerving.

I for one am very proud of you and all of us here are ... [watch what I do here] ... "pulling for you!" biggrin smilie

Good for you.

@2820828

No ouch here, a shot of scandonest and you wont feel a thing.

@2820809

Believe me extraction is one of the least bad things a dentist can do to you. I hope you've never needed root canal treatment.

@2820811

Agreed, painful to watch let alone endure.

@Sunny_the_skeptic Believe me extraction is one of the least bad things a dentist can do to you. I hope you've never needed root canal...

I agree Sunny, a couple of years ago, it was to have a tooth pulled or a root canal and I chose the extraction, have never regretted it.

@StarzAbove I agree Sunny, a couple of years ago, it was to have a tooth pulled or a root canal and I chose the extraction...

Root canal treatment is basically a compromise not to remove a tooth but instead give it's well "corpse" a few years to stay there to do it's function until you decide to get a bridge, denture or implant.

@Sunny_the_skeptic Root canal treatment is basically a compromise not to remove a tooth but instead give it's well "corpse" a few...

It was going to be very expensive, painful, so I opted for the extraction. But I went to a specialist that only pulled teeth, I've forgotten what he was called. Then after the extraction I had a dry socket....which was very painful. Either way I went I was in pain.

@StarzAbove It was going to be very expensive, painful, so I opted for the extraction. But I went to a specialist that only...

Ooh dang, sorry to hear that. Do you have low blood pressure by chance? Or it could be from the adrenaline in the anesthetic as it constricts the blood vessels and limits blood cloth forming in the socket.

@Sunny_the_skeptic Ooh dang, sorry to hear that. Do you have low blood pressure by chance? Or it could be from the adrenaline in the...

Actually I have high blood pressure. My dentist sent me to a Maxilloficial surgeon. When I got there the dentist took my blood pressure as a matter of routine, it was so high he wouldn't extract the tooth until he called my family doctor and he wouldn't let me leave his office until he talked to my family doctor. I was then put on a high blood pressure medicine....all the while was still having a slight tooth ache. After about a week, when I got my BP down, then the surgeon removed the tooth. Quite an ordeal.

@StarzAbove Actually I have high blood pressure. My dentist sent me to a Maxilloficial surgeon. When I got there the...

Yeah, it's a big no-no to pull teeth from patients with hight BP, it's the first thing we do, in that case I'm sure the dentist either used an anesthetic with low or no amount of adrenaline which is a factor in dry socket. The 79 year old lady that I worked with today had a 155\80 blood pressure which is very much on the limit and pushing it. We didnt use any adrenaline either as that could put her heart at risk. She bled a bit more from the socket but it all went well.

This is the procedure with heart problems since we as dentists cant decide if we could temporarily stop\change the medicine so we consult the GP, also they probably didnt allow you to take aspirin around that time since it stops blood clotting

@Sunny_the_skeptic Yeah, it's a big no-no to pull teeth from patients with hight BP, it's the first thing we do, in that case I'm sure...

They didn't put me out, just numbed me up good. I didn't feel a thing. I can't aspirin - baby aspirin, it causes nosebleeds.

@StarzAbove They didn't put me out, just numbed me up good. I didn't feel a thing. I can't aspirin - baby aspirin, it...

That's what I meant, in dentistry it's all local numbing anesthesia, the only ones who get put out are those with neurosis and mentally unstable patients

Good for you, sunny!
Markos(zonkeys) turn!

@2820899

I've done root canal treatment plenty of times on extracted teeth, doing it on a person while the tooth is attached to them will be something new.

Awesome! Very cool. Congratulations!