What is the oldest book you have ever read? (Based on its written date)

doctorwho1011s avatar Books
9 29
@2820900

Yes that is probably the oldest book most have access . India has older books as do Jewish writings. More older still are found as people tear and dig. China probably has the oldest of all but they are so secretive and selfish they will not share at all.

@2820900

I've read it as well, but I wouldn't give that much credit to it. Lots of it has been removed. King James' version is pretty much the closest thing you can get and even it wasn't really completed at the said time.

@ZonkeyBalls I've read it as well, but I wouldn't give that much credit to it. Lots of it has been removed. King James' version...

Zonkey for sure you are right on that, King James version took out everything that didn't pertain to making the church a way to collect assets from members.

@2820907

Look at my horrifyingly blasphemous response above.

Aside from the Bible, "The Iliad" and "The Odyssey" by Homer.

The Bible.

As a first printing ... there was a biography of a guy who went to the gold fields of Alaska in 1897. He wasn't anybody famous. Just some guy who wanted a book of his adventures. I don't even recall his name, now.

Anyway, it was pretty interesting reading. Especially the part about Astoria Oregon at the time, since I work in the area. I had heard of the "shanghai bars" ... but it turns out you were at greater risk of being kidnapped from a logging camp. Which is why the loggers were always armed (not wild animals, as most people think). Who knew?

I was discussing the book with my store manager at the time - and found out that it was his ancestor. His family knew the guy went to the gold fields, but lost track of him after that. They didn't even know of the book. I gave him the book to add to his genealogy collection.

Aside from the Bible, I'm not really sure. I've only read parts of Pilgrim's Progress, but numerous novels written in the 1800's.

Homer's Odyssey

Next oldest would be the works of Plato

Honorable mention to Omar Khayyam's Rubaiyat

It was a poem, Paradise Lost by John Milton, written in 1667.

The Bible.

After 'The New Testament' it would be 'The War of the Worlds'.
乂ᵒ◡ᵒ乂