+7

To everyone: if you fit into a similar category of someone who did something bad, YOU DO NOT NEED to be defensive. If there is a movement that is working on stopping the behaviour of certain people who harm others, and you happen to be of the same religion, gender, ethnicity, age, income or whatever of the "bad people", unless you are doing the "bad stuff", IT IS NOT ABOUT YOU. So, please, do not join the people who are twisting reality to make it seem like you're a target.

Yes, there is people who abuse the movement and might accuse you of something. It happens with every group that has a specific goal. Some will jump on the wave with another agenda. The thing is, you still didn't do it, and more times than not, the movement is not made of extremists so think before painting everyone with the same brush. Acting like the extremists is not the way to go at it. They're wrong and so will you be if you decide to follow their example. Don't generalise and don't act like personal responsibility isn't real. This is just common sense, right? Well, I like to think so, but I might be wrong for the way I see people talk.

Sofias avatar Psychology
7 17

Generalities, in general, are unfair. I dont fit in the same box as people who are similarly inclined. I have my own damned box!:]

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply
@Carla Generalities, in general, are unfair. I dont fit in the same box as people who are similarly inclined. I have my...

Exactly. I understand that lack of information (or interest in the person to know more about others) might influence their idea that everyone with a certain similarity are the same, but basic logic should be able to let them see that they're not the same as everyone similar to them, so why would others be?

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +3Reply
@Sofia Exactly. I understand that lack of information (or interest in the person to know more about others) might...

Sofia, many, many people live within their own walls. And logic plays no part in their thoughts about others.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply
@2822034

I think you are just fine, too;)

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply

People get defensive because they can't handle the truth:

Jokes apart...

Some people are just ready to make and accept assumptions that resonate with them without looking for other points of view.

Also, some people can't easily accept the idea that the world is not perfect, people with a similar "label" as theirs are not all perfect, and there are mistakes and bad people in any "group". Some even reject the notion that there is still racism, sexism, etc.

Also, when people are skeptical about certain movements because of misinformation, sometimes their instinct is to dislike it and even feel offended by it. Whenever that happens, it's unfortunately very easy to close the mind to the movement and prefer "echo chambers" that justify your initial feeling, instead of actually trying to understand it. Some will downplay the seriousness of such movements, and will even feel entitled to make it about themselves.

And, whenever someone comes up with a rhetoric where the world is perfect, there is a clearly defined "we" and a "they", that movement is unfairly attacking "us", "we" didn't do anything wrong, many people are happy to jump on that boat. (They are easy targets for politicians and book sellers.)

Also, some people will quickly adhere to a rhetoric where they are the victims, because the propaganda has been effective in instilling or appealing to fear, anger and / or pride.

Well, I've just mixed up several opinions without really any beginning / middle / end, and I'm using slightly vague references to "they", "people", "movements", etc.... but I hope that made sense.:P

@primeiro People get defensive because they can't handle the...

Every attitude you spoke about fits what I've been seeing. You made a lot of sense :D

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +1Reply
@Sofia Every attitude you spoke about fits what I've been seeing. You made a lot of sense :D

It's a really counter-productive attitude unless you're a politician or a book author. :P
:D

@2822328

Ah, okay.
I can give you an example. I'll use racism because it's the one that keeps happening: a white man kills a man because he's black. That happens some more times with all different people but the consistent thing is the ethnicity of the accuser and the victim, and eventually someone decides that shouldn't be happening, and creates a movement to bring awareness to that, so someone can do something about it. The "news", normally the bigot kind, twist all of what is happening to make it seems like all white people will be made targets, and use only the extremists of the group to paint the members of the movement as all the same, and out of nowhere, you see a bunch of white people getting defensive over the movement and trying to destroy it. They're not racists, they're not killing anyone, so it's not about them at all, but because they've been given manipulated information again and again, they will think they're victims. And instead of helping a movement that was originally made to fix something that was wrong, now you get a bunch of people standing in the way of it, even denying the existence of the original problem, just making everything even more difficult.

That happens with pretty much every movement that its goal is to fix something that is wrong in the society, normally about a group of people being treated differently than some other. The ones that don't want it fixed will find a way to manipulate others to get in the way of it. A little common sense and looking at more than one source should be able to avoid many people into becoming pawns.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +1Reply