+2

Cultural appropriation or cultural adoption? Could the true purpose of making "cultural appropriation" taboo be to keep minority cultures from gaining influence within the dominant culture?

Anyone can use whatever aspects of the dominant culture they like, but we're taught that minority cultures are off limits to members of the dominant culture. It's considered taboo to adopt any aspect of them, as doing so would be "cultural appropriation."

Like it's a kind of theft or something.

But how does a minority culture expand its influence within a larger culture? There are only 2 ways, reproduction and adoption. So to me it seems like the taboo of cultural appropriation is actually a mindf**k to prevent the adoption of minority cultures. They have people thinking they're preserving minority cultures, when in practical terms they're actually limiting their influence and preventing their spread within the dominant culture.

Image for post **Cultural appropriation or cultural adoption? Could the true purpose of making "cultural appropriation" taboo be to keep minority cultures from gaining influence within the dominant culture?**
Mazes avatar Psychology
3 17

so what was once considered cultural enrichment is now "appropriation"? cultural appropriation is a joke.

@2822495

I remember a video or something where some progressives want to cut off some white guy's dread locks because they're not his culture.

I thought cultural appropriation was what progressives keep bitching about when someone dares to wear clothing that doesn't belong to their culture, hence the "my culture is not your prom dress" fiasco. But it seems people on general don't mind, even like it since they take it as approval of their culture.

@Sunny_the_skeptic I thought cultural appropriation was what progressives keep bitching about when someone dares to wear clothing that...

funny thing with that ism they have no problem if minorities wore white people clothing, its only appropriation if white people do it according to left wing unhinged liberal

@deusvult funny thing with that ism they have no problem if minorities wore white people clothing, its only appropriation if...

It seems progressiveness can be moronically overdone like in this case. You end up with a generation of oversensitive pseudo adults.

I eat tacos, pork lo mein, sauerbraten, french pastries, etc because there is only so much
hot dogs and beans I can eat.
Didn't Marco Polo bring silk back from China and make a fortune for them in selling their silk to Europeans?
I see it as cultural appreciation and that is a very good thing.

I think there is a lot of different things to consider in this conversation. First of all, I want to put a disclaimer that even I have some reservations about cultural appropriation, however I do see the benefit of bringing it to light.

I think a good example to use is natural hair for blacks/African-Americans. For many years, the extremely kinky, curly hair was seen as dirty and unkept. This such as cornrows or dreads were used to provide protection for the textured hair, yet it was looked down upon and considered unprofessional. So, blacks/African-Americans were "forced" to conform to straight hair, either by chemically straightening their hair, wearing their wigs, or cutting it all off and wearing it short. All of this was in order to be taken seriously by people in things like job hunting or just everyday life.

Flash forward to years later where cornrows and dreads are now becoming a fashion statement by people who, in the past, would have originally frowned upon these fashion statements. That's what most people refer to as cultural appropriation: taking something that was originally resented by a large group of people in power and then stealing that same thing and saying it's "fashion."

I do think it's important to show the importance of cultural appreciation, however. And there are still some things I'm trying to figure out, such as where to draw the line between cultural appropriation and cultural appreciation. However, that is my opinion. I hope it made sense!

Ellens avatar Ellen Disagree -5Reply
@Ellen I think there is a lot of different things to consider in this conversation. First of all, I want to put a...

I think I understand your opinion, but it doesn't really make sense to me. I mean it kind of does, but it kind of doesn't, like... imagine two alternate realities,

Reality A is a society that looks at cornrows the way you described, so only a certain segment of the black population wears their hair like that, and nobody else does.

Reality B is a society where the only factor in anyone's decision to put their hair in cornrows is whether they want to have that look or not, so you see all kinds of people wearing their hair that way. It's a mainstream look.

From the perspective of a black person who's got her hair in cornrows, in which reality would she be more accepted when circulating in the dominant culture? It seems obvious to me that in reality B, her hairstyle, the one she has her own reasons for wanting to wear, would blend right in and be seen as normal anywhere. Members of the dominant culture would see her hair and identify with it. She's being herself in both realities, but rather than that making her an oddity, she's just a normal part of the dominant culture. I think that puts her in a more credible, and ultimately a more powerful, position in society.