Illegal immigration is a problem - I think we can all agree on that. The approaching and growing Caravana de Migrantes highlites the issue in todays news. But, the question remains - what should we do about it?

Political leaders past and present all are interested in protecting the borders but have differing ideas how to do it. Here's some to consider.

President Obama said it is important to protect our borders, limit immigration.

President Clinton had very similar ideas - to protect our borders.
"Our administration has moved aggressively to secure our borders more by hiring a record number of new border guards, deporting criminal aliens, barring welfare benefits to illegal aliens"

Nancy Pelosi is also interested in protecting the border - just a little more frugal.
Pelosi: "Mowing The Grass So People Can't Be Smuggled Through Grass" Better Border Solution Than Wall

And then there's Donald Trump -
"Secure our borders, enforce our immigration laws, and ensure that individuals who pose a threat to national security or public safety cannot enter or remain in our country."

Do you favor any of these ideas? Or, do you have another solution?

Image for post Illegal immigration is a problem - I think we can all agree on that.  The approaching and growing **Caravana de Migrantes** highlites the issue in todays news.  But, the question remains - what should we do about it?
20% I think Obama was on to something there! 0% I think Clinton was on to something there! 0% Nancy nailed it! Cut the grass! so simple! 30% Trump probably stole the idea of protecting the border from obama, but still should do it. 40% borders - schmorders - just let everyone in 10% i have a brilliant idea - here it is
Budwicks avatar News & Current Events
6 21

I don't have a brilliant idea, but no matter what Trump does it will be wrong and reported as inhumane. If he stops them at the border there will be a crisis on the Mexican side. If he allows them in and contains them it will be reported as a concentration camp. If he just lets them go where they want he will be blamed for not securing the border. It's a no win situation and his opponents know it.

@2823380

Why, yes! Yes that very thing DID occur to me!
In fact, that's the very reason I wrote this on the first comment -
I think they should CLOSE the border until we get some reasonable, bi-partisan immigration laws passed. [That may take years, decades, centuries! Oh well.]"

Watch out for the stupid spirit!

Budwicks avatar Budwick I think Obama was on to something there! 0Reply
@2823392

More symptoms!
We've had immigration laws for years - decades.
They haven't been enforced consistently.
Let me guess - you believe the caravan people are doing something free - Amirite?

@2823402

Only since WWII?

@2823407

Look on the bright side That!

The topic is not as pessimistic as it seems.
While some people live quite well, and a few live
very well, the present world order has many
casualties – failed countries and, within successful
countries, failed people. The overturning of
existing arrangements will not be a misfortune to
all. A dark age is a time of great turmoil, suffering
and insecurity. It is also a time of great creativity.
A dark age is a melting pot when old, corrupt and
exhausted institutions are finally broken down and
destroyed. Something new and better suited to
human needs can then be built up in their place. For
the beneficiaries of the old institutions, this is
certainly a painful process. For the rest, who are far
more numerous, it is also a hopeful one.

@2823424

I noticed the book offers no solutions but a few ways to dodge the bullets.
I saw your 'hobby' pantry the other day. You don't want too many of us to know about that. I'd keep it under your hat so to speak.

Well, not one of them is a legitimate refugee under international law, because even if they're fleeing for legitimate reasons, the right to claim refuge is limited to the first safe country they enter, and legally speaking, that's Mexico, not the US. So, saying they're refugees is simply false.

So what's the best response? If it was my choice, my goal would be to peacefully apprehend every one of them who enters illegally and put them on a plane home.

Obama's statement is the epitome of what a politician will say to get elected. He lied with every word he uttered. Trump ran on securing the border and he meant it. It is what the majority of Americans want. Borders define a Country. Laws and procedures protect it. It is the President's top priority to protect Citizens. And it is not racist to do so...it's common sense.

Dars avatar Dar Trump probably stole the idea of protecting... +1Reply

I think they should CLOSE the border until we get some reasonable, bi-partisan immigration laws passed. [That may take years, decades, centuries! Oh well.]