Do you think consciousness is a function of the brain or separate from the brain?

64% Brain produces consciousness 36% Consciousness exists SEPARATELY
Trishs avatar Philosophy
6 22
@2824476

I agree :) I consider it like a radio or tv

Trishs avatar Trish Consciousness exists SEPARATELY +1Reply

And I can prove it, if for some reason you temporarily cut off the blood supply of the brain, (which can be done by applying pressure on the common carotid and subclavian arteries) your consciousness will fade and will come back once the blood supply is back.

@Sunny_the_skeptic And I can prove it, if for some reason you temporarily cut off the blood supply of the brain, (which can be done by...

What about the many, many verified and proven stories of people seeing, knowing, and experiencing things while clinically dead? If even one is true, that means there is more to consciousness than the brain.

Trishs avatar Trish Consciousness exists SEPARATELY +3Reply
@Trish What about the many, many verified and proven stories of people seeing, knowing, and experiencing things while...

Is it not possible that once brain activity begins again, all kinds of stuff could occur to make people believe they've experienced x or y. We have nowhere near enough knowledge to make a definitive statement on this topic. Even your last sentence depends on an "if" that can't be answered right now.

Hallucinations, all consciousness is born of the brain. A brain deprived of oxygen and releasing chemicals could explain your hypothesis "more" to consciousness.

@2824479

If you explain it in a bit more simple manner I could understand what you're trying to say

That doesn't prove anything except that the brain is necessary for consciousness. No way to know if there is something else. Like some say, if the brain is a "radio", breaking radios and observing that no sound comes out of them does not prove that radio waves don't exist.

Neuron transponders in the brain are temporary stimulus for consciousness. When the brain dies, it transfers consciousness to another being waiting to be born.

This is a very good question. I should not be answering this. But hey, fuck the NDA in my condition. Yeah... Uhmm... Where to start? There is a thing, that makes human beings different from other animals. It's called Soul Matrix. Now, the definition itself might not be completely accurate, per se, but it's what it is. Once the connection between a consciousness and the soul matrix has happened, you are "you". I remember my "being" becoming attached to the unborn baby in my mom's belly. It's the earliest memory I have, before even being born yet. I forgot to mention this in some other thread, because usually early memories are considered real after the birth, but I can assure you, that this is a real memory.

Now, none of that breaks any rules, it's just uttering of a madman. Here's where the NDA comes and all kinds of crap gets really weird... A human consciousness has been succesfully transferred from a dying person to a living person. That's a fact, that doesn't officially appear on the news, because a lot of crazies would just get crazier, probably bash some heads in with their holy books. Now, the result was not completely what they had wished for. It created a sort of a split, not actually Schizophrenia, but almost a similar condition. The difference was, that two minds - one body - both completely aware of each other at the same time. One mind wants go left, the other wants to go right. The result: first a complete faceplant and then they get mad at each other... So... Yeah, as long as one can find two similar minds, that could work. Other than that, it's a disaster.

ZonkeyBallss avatar ZonkeyBalls Consciousness exists SEPARATELY +2Reply

I think scientific research would have to progress a whole lot more before I could say much on this. And that's assuming there is an explanation in the natural world.

Separately because I don’t live on the terms of the ones who want me to “prove it.”pce smilie

Mashas avatar Masha Consciousness exists SEPARATELY 0Reply

There seems to be a correlation between consciousness and a well-functioning brain. Head trauma, lack of oxygen, dehydration (causing a lack of oxygen to brain), etc.. each of these can cause you to lose consciousness, and each also prevents the brain from functioning as it should. This is why I think our consciousness is a function of our brains.

PhilboydStudges avatar PhilboydStudge Brain produces consciousness 0Reply