When did words stopped meaning a thing?

I'm quite simple: what I say, I mean it. I don't like the food you made and you ask about it, I'll say it. I'm angry with you, I'll talk to you about it. I want to be alone, I'll say so. I have a question, I'll ask. I don't do games and play tricks in real life. What I say, I mean it. But many times I find myself having to explain myself over "hidden meanings" that people see behind my words, and that is beyond frustrating. That or they completely ignore what I say, as if I didn't mean it.
I'm not a big fan of social stuff, and I know I'm not the best at it, but I find it worse and worse to do them. When I think everything is alright, there comes someone accusing me of saying this and that and I have no idea what they're talking about. Then I have to defend myself of things I've never said because someone decided I meant it.

Why is that the norm now is "try to read what they actually meant"? I know I do that to the ones I see it's a part of their character, but I don't do it with everyone.
People ask for honesty, but I'm not sure people even understand what honesty is.