+3

When you speak the truth, you're speaking for God. When you lie, you're speaking for the devil.

If you believe that God is real, God created and sustains everything, so when your words are in alignment with God's creation - reality - it's like you're speaking on God's behalf. You are representing reality, and therefore representing God, with your words.

When you lie, you are rejecting God's creation (objective reality) and imposing a false creation of your own with your words, usually in an attempt to steal another person's connection to reality. As such, you are representing the devil.

.

"When the devil lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies."
-Jesus (John 8:44)

Speak the truth to each other ... declares the LORD.
Zechariah 8:16, 17

For we cannot oppose the truth, but must always stand for the truth.
2 Corinthians 13:8

The truth shall make you free. -Jesus (John 8:32)

Image for post **When you speak the truth, you're speaking for God. When you lie, you're speaking for the devil.**
Mazes avatar Religion
5 8

I can believe that God is real, and value truth, without believing that He is going to "sustain everything". There are are many verses in the Bible, about how the arrogant and haughty displease Him. There are many people who either knowingly falsely claim to speak for God, or actually believe they are..who speak or act in ways so very different than what Jesus taught.

@Piper2 I can believe that God is real, and value truth, without believing that He is going to "sustain everything"...

"Sustain everything"... interesting question. I once heard a sermon that posited if God stopped holding everything in existence, everything would disappear.

"15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. 17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together." [italics added]
     —Colossians 1:15-17

@Thinkerbell "Sustain everything"... interesting question. I once heard a sermon that posited if God stopped holding...

Although I was not asking a question, I do find it interesting that some people think they can do whatever they want to this earth, and think God will just "take care of it".

@Piper2 Although I was not asking a question, I do find it interesting that some people think they can do whatever they...

Well, that's a bit less numinous than the sustaining power on which the sermon was speculating.
But yes, I agree... if we pollute the air, for example, God won't "just take care of it," at least not in the short term.

@Thinkerbell Well, that's a bit less numinous than the sustaining power on which the sermon was speculating. But yes, I agree...

No doubt, but I've both heard and read those who have expressed that belief. Not just about polluting the air, but about many things concerning this earth we were born in.

@Piper2 No doubt, but I've both heard and read those who have expressed that belief. Not just about polluting the air...

Yes, and unfortunately the ecological problems we face can all ultimately be traced back to one overarching problem: overpopulation.
Had the world stayed at about 1 billion people, as it was around 1900, practically none of the ecological issues we hear so much about today would be issues.

Anonymous