What would you have done if this had happened to you?

Monday I purchased an item at Menards...the price was $49.99. When I checked out, the cashier charged me $4.99. Wow....I said to her "that's quite a bargain", she just smiled and nodded. My husband was waiting for me, I told him about the lower price, we checked the item against the receipt and noticed that the cashier had punched in the wrong number. I then went back, told her what had happened, and she sent me to Customer Service. The problem was corrected and I paid the correct price. They were surprised that I had caught the error and paid the full price, saying most people would have just ran out the door.

Image for post What would you have done if this had happened to you?
19% I would have accepted the lower price, regardless 69% i would have corrected the error 0% Ignored all of it, and went about my business 13% not sure what i would have done.
StarzAboves avatar Money & Economics
10 89
@2831778

That's great, you got a super deal. Stay warm in those jackets.

@2831806

Were you burned?

@2831808

Ummm, the hazards of the job, I guess.

A similar thing happened to me at work. The cashier gave me $2,000 instead of $200 ... I didn't want her to get in trouble or lose her job, so I made the exchange as discreetly as possible.

JanHaskells avatar JanHaskell i would have corrected the error +6Reply

I like getting bargains, but not from clerical mistakes.

Will_Janitors avatar Will_Janitor i would have corrected the error +6Reply

A few years ago, a computer company was offering a $75 rebate on their product. When the rebate finally came, the check was for $7500. They were not only surprised when I returned the check and asked for a new one, but said it would probably never have been noticed anyway.

@StarzAbove That's a huge difference, guess that company wasn't on the ball.

Computer companies are pretty sharp about tech things, money, not so much lol

@StarzAbove Indeed!

A couple weeks ago, I found a wallet in the parking lot at the post office. Had some money but several credit cards, and other id. The address was from out of town, so I came home, started looking on the computer to track the person down and started calling. Finally found what I believed was the right number and called. Of course people here rarely answer calls from unknown numbers or people, so I texted the person. Got an answer almost immediately that it was indeed the right person. They were 50 miles away by this time, so I told them I would meet them half way and we both drove around 25 miles. They were very grateful. Having to cancel all the credit cards and get new id is a major headache.

@2831902

I think so too. I think there are more honest people, like yourself, in this world than we know of.

@2831951

That's very true. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Honestly, I seldom look at receipts. So I probably would not have corrected it.

@Walt_OReagun Honestly, I seldom look at receipts. So I probably would not have corrected it.

It's rare when I do, but with that big of a difference, I did check it out.

My inclination would be to take the bargain!But I am too honest!

ThePrinceofWaless avatar ThePrinceofWales I would have accepted the lower price, regardless +3Reply
@2831893

Thanks, we still have some honest people in this world, and you're one of them.

@2831899

I didn't know that, but the guy in Customer Service told me, the cashier's register would have come up short....so I'm glad the mistake was corrected.

A clerk at a convenience store was quite annoyed with me when I told her that she had given me too much change back for a purchase. I gave her the difference and walked out. She didn't last too long at that store.
Always do the right thing, karma is waiting for you.

ozzyboys avatar ozzyboy i would have corrected the error +3Reply

yeah going back to get the price fixed is certainly the right thing to do. i know some people who wouldn;t care they would be happy to not get it fixed and think they struck a great deal, to me thats dishonest and poor behavior

I would've paid the right price.
If I didn't want to pay it... I wouldn't have got it in the first place.

There might be some people that wouldn't say anything and take it.
I'd like to remain sleeping good at night.

DandyDons avatar DandyDon i would have corrected the error -1Reply

I wrote a response earlier - I wonder what happened to it! (Andy?!)

Anyway, what I wrote that something similar has happened to me and I corrected the matter.
I didn't need to be told by my spouse to do it however.

Budwicks avatar Budwick i would have corrected the error -2Reply
@Flrdsgns Why the nasty response?

There's always someone who leaves a mean spirited comment, guess it was Bud's turn today, you think. Sounds like he's a little resentful that his wife tells him what to do in most cases or he would not have brought it up.

@Flrdsgns Why the nasty response?

Nasty?
Was it nasty when the OP mentioned talking to her spouse and THEN returning to make the correction?
Or, was it only nasty when I mentioned that I made the correction without consulting anyone?

Hey, you don't suppose that this had anything to do with my first comment being removed, do you?

Budwicks avatar Budwick i would have corrected the error 0Reply
@2832841

Nothing about him is appealing, that's why he's so mean spirited....

@2832913

He pretends to be a Christian, but he sure doesn't act like one. He's been stalking my comments all day today.

@2832926

Yes he does. I wish he would find someone else to stalk, someone that appreciates him, I sure don't. He's a pest.

@2832931

He's got that hands down. No one else can compare to his crankiness. lol

@2832841

Now, don't take this the wrong way Bing, I wasn't gonna ask you out.

@2832914

Be Friendly, eh?

You opened with, "one to give me directions, one to cook my meals, and one to supply me with everything I will need. "

Tell me about being friendly Bingo. Don't leave anything out!

@2833074

As usual, he's mixed up. He's using my words, thinking you were the one that said it. I think he's been hitting the bottle while his wife is at work, you think? lol

@2833077

Guess the prune juice didn't work. Image in content

@2831901

I think the OP is the real star here Bing.
She listened to her husband and did what she was told!

Budwicks avatar Budwick i would have corrected the error -1Reply
@Budwick I think the OP is the real star here Bing. She listened to her husband and did what she was told!

As usual you're wrong, but I guess you're so used to doing as your wife tells you to do that you think everyone does the same. My husband didn't tell me what to do, he never does, but if he did, I wouldn't think anything about it nor would I make a big deal about it, like you do.

And I didn't have anything to do with your post that you said was removed, in fact I never even saw your post. Maybe you should ask Anthony about it, instead of making false accusations.

@2832921

Good Boy, Bingo!

@2833075

Cute little puppy. I'm surprised he didn't send you his dog. They say owners look like their dogs. You think? Image in content

@2833082

haha that'll work.

@2832842

He hasn't anything better to do in his life than to make false accusations against others. He's laughable.

@2832916

lol I think you're right. lol

@2832923

lol He never wins the political debates, it's rather funny, when he's losing then he starts calling people names. That's when we all laugh at him.

@2832929

lol He always denies it, but we all see what he's doing.

@2832934

Or volleyball. lol

@2832842

Defending Trump is unnecessary these days.

@Budwick Defending Trump is unnecessary these days.

That's very true, he's in so deep that there's no defending him anymore.