+1

What is going on with the Romaine lettuce warning? This is the severest warning I've heard about any food. Is Romaine now like with Sprouts, that E. coli is part of Romaine's DNA?

67%Yes33%No
Flrdsgnss avatar Food & Drink
5 38

Budwick has a good answer.

As I said in another topic ... it's becoming more common for treated waste (from sewage plants) to be dumped on fields as fertilizer.

@Walt_OReagun Budwick has a good answer. As I said in another topic ... it's becoming more common for treated waste (from sewage...

Ugh! That's disgusting!
Wait, treated waste - so harmful stuff has been removed, right?
Or, is this in Flint, MI? Where they use tap water to loosen rusted bolts and execute prisoners.

@Budwick Ugh! That's disgusting! Wait, treated waste - so harmful stuff has been removed, right? Or, is this in Flint...

This is national.
It's not just radioactive waste and garbage we are facing a storage shortage with.
All that sewage waste "sludge" has to go somewhere, as well.

Allegedly, the "harmful stuff" has been removed.
But when we can't even rely on the treatment plants to give us drinkable water ... can we rely on the process to treat sewage waste? I don't think so.

@Walt_OReagun This is national. It's not just radioactive waste and garbage we are facing a storage shortage with. All that...

Now, I use a product called Milorganite - It’s composed of heat-dried microbes that have digested the organic matter in wastewater. Milorganite is manufactured by the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District. ... The cleaned water is returned to Lake Michigan while the microbes are kiln-dried into small pellets. Is this the kind of stuff you are talking about? I use it on my lawn - it's a great product and far safer than chemical fertilizers that run off and hyper feed algae.

I think you are also making assumptions that are likely untrue.

@Budwick Now, I use a product called Milorganite - It’s composed of heat-dried microbes that have digested the organic...

Nope.
The stuff I'm talking about is actual sludge.
I don't know how they treat it ... but (around here) they bring it in trucks to the farm and spray it over the ground. The truck looks like one of those that spray de-icing chemicals on roads / runways. When they spray it, it sticks for days. Ranchers are told not to let their livestock in the field until it has either rained or they have used sprinklers to dilute it.

@Walt_OReagun Nope. The stuff I'm talking about is actual sludge. I don't know how they treat it ... but (around here) they bring...

That makes no sense at all! There is nothing in raw sludge that would be remotely beneficial to plants. Even Milorganite isn't treated poop - it's the dead bacteria from the waste waster process.

If they are spraying sludge on your local farm fields, authorities should be notified - today.

@Budwick That makes no sense at all! There is nothing in raw sludge that would be remotely beneficial to plants. Even...

LOL ... the authorities are the ones who issued the permits to the waste treatment facilities, and required the farmers to use it instead of their normal fertilizer.

Thankfully, the farms they used it on were near the major roadway that tourists use. There were so many complaints about the smell, they no longer do it here. But it is still being done in other areas.

IMO ... I don't think they do it as a fertilizer, as much as a way to get rid of the sludge so it doesn't have to be put in storage somewhere.

@2832012

I don't know about that ... but the ones I'm talking about are from human waste sewage plants. That is who is being contracted, and where they are getting the sludge from.

I know what the livestock slurry ponds are, and that's not what was being used.

@2832076

As I said: the authorities are the ones who issued the permits and required it, so ...

@2832011

Thanks Theseus.

This is the most severe warning I have experienced. The sprouts was pretty quiet but still decimated the product indefinitely. It seems the same may happen to romaine lettuce. I like romaine, too bad it didn't happen to kale. That stuff tastes like shit anyway. :)

I'm taking that warning very seriously...no more romaine lettuce for me. Also, see below, Will hates Kale too. lol lol

Romaine seems to get recalled all the time for the same reason, but I've never seen anything this severe in my life. It's always romaine, rarely any other foods.

E. coli is a bacterium commonly found in the intestines of humans and other animals. Symptoms of intestinal infection include diarrhea, abdominal pain, and fever. More severe cases can lead to bloody diarrhea, dehydration, or even kidney failure.

Presumably someone is pooping in the lettuce fields.

@Budwick E. coli is a bacterium commonly found in the intestines of humans and other animals. Symptoms of intestinal...

This is much more severe than that Bud, I've never seen a warning to just throw all romaine out, for stores to remove all romaine from the shelves and the most troubling to sanitize your refrigerator if you had romaine in it.
If washing the romaine won't get rid of the danger, then that means the problem is in the water, the growing or something else that E. Coli is in the plant itself.
We saw this several years ago with sprouts, where E. Coli became part of the plant itself. Are we seeing the end of romaine? Will it spread to other leafy greens?

@Flrdsgns This is much more severe than that Bud, I've never seen a warning to just throw all romaine out, for stores to...

I think you are speculating beyond what is known.
Are you just trying to get out of eating your vegetables at tomorrows feast?
Happy Thanksgiving by the way.

@Budwick I think you are speculating beyond what is known. Are you just trying to get out of eating your vegetables at...

I don't think so Bud, when the CDC says to sanitize your refrigerator, and that washing the leaves does no good, that the problem is in the plant itself, then I really don't think I'm over reacting. BTW I live on salads and veggies quite often.
You have a great Thanksgiving too Bud. Is Mrs Budwick cooking or do you go to the kids for dinner?

@Flrdsgns I don't think so Bud, when the CDC says to sanitize your refrigerator, and that washing the leaves does no good...

I've seen that they want us to throw it all all away and clean refrigerators where it had been stored.

I did NOT see anything about cleaning would so no good. They already said throw it away. Are you gonna clean it before you throw it away?

I also did not see anything about the problem being in the plant itself.

Ya see Flanders? This is how bad info gets moved around. Now, if you actually have a reliable source indicating that the plant material is the problem - I would genuinely like to see it. Cuz that's not how E. Coli rolls. It's found in animal feces - it's NORMAL to be found in animal feces. It's more normal than you probably want to know for it to be found on produce. (That's why they do recommend washing produce before eating.) I don't know why they wouldn't just double down on washing the lettuce instead of throwing it away.

But it's NOT normal for E. Coli to become one with the plant. So, please share your sources.

@Budwick I've seen that they want us to throw it all all away and clean refrigerators where it had been stored. I did NOT...

I got that information this morning on CBS morning show, They had some woman from the CDC on and she looked dead serious talking about this problem. She specifically said that washing the leaf would not get rid of the problem, that it was in the plant itself. Maybe you can go to CBS site and find the interview there.

@2832009

Yeah, what he said, "nascent symbiotic relationships between microbiota and food crops" and like that!

The errors and correction pages for CBS are massive. I would insist on corroboration on a news story of Budwick being on fire!

OK, here's a little more info found on USA Today - Sarah Sorscher, deputy director of regulatory affairs at the Center for Science in the Public Interest, said running water over the lettuce can't ensure that harmful germs are killed. Even scrubbing with baking soda or vinegar won't do the trick.

Why? Because bacteria can get stuck in "microscopic crevices," James Rogers, director of Food Safety and Research at Consumer Reports, has said.

"microscopic crevices" - those are the zillions of little folds in the lettuce leaves. It's NOT because it's become part of the plant.

And typical government agency is over reacting on the side of caution.

They have narrowed it down to lettuce from California and Mexico, basically ALL OF IT.

They want you to sanitize your fridge because it might have microscopic poop left behind from the lettuce.

I am NOT suggesting that you go ahead and eat Romain lettuce. Sure as shooting, you would get sick and Mrs Flanders would be all up in my grill about how I made you eat shit - and all our bickering here online would be used as evidence and I would be off to prison!