If Apple ever decided to make a laptop with touchscreen I'd hand over my credit card. As it is I'm certainly not gonna splurge on what's out there now...which...after reading many many reviews...sounds like it might crap out on you any day.

Apple first opened my eyes to the possibility of magic! I'll never forget the day I first touched the iPad screen...I fell in love. Plus any Apple I've had has lasted like, forever... Plus...their support system (while it's gone thru ups and downs) has mostly been spectacular!

Sukiesnows avatar Brands & Products
4 6

I got a brand new Apple laptop back in 2005. It was expensive AF (about $2500 after software etc) but I loved it, easy to use, fast, versatile, it was a great computer. About 5 years later, Apple decided they were done supporting it, and after the last update it ran like shit, basically unusable. I guess they wanted me to upgrade.

Now, if you do the math on my investment, it cost me about $500 per year to own that computer.

My next computer was a used desktop PC running Windows XP that I bought for $180. I'm not sure what year it is, but the copyright date on the software shows 2002. I ran that computer until 2016 and it still works fine. But XP was getting a little out of date, so I paid a similar amount for another used PC running Windows 10, which is what I'm using now.

I'm not saying that Apple is bad as such, my old iBook was awesome, but you pay a high price for that awesomeness. And personally, for what I do on my computer, (mostly just internet) I don't feel the cost is justified. Windows gets the job done.

@Maze I got a brand new Apple laptop back in 2005. It was expensive AF (about $2500 after software etc) but I loved it...

Hey Maze! Enjoying politics lately?

Done supporting it? Well...yeah...that's the same with my iPad G2...happens with all technology. Air cleaners...you name it. Oreck just laughed when I phoned them. That is the part about life that brings out my communist tendencies.

The reviews on Chromebooks...Asus/Acer...Surface, Leveno (expensive!) are scaring me. It just seems that nowadays...it's more about luck.

@Sukiesnow Hey Maze! Enjoying politics lately? Done supporting it? Well...yeah...that's the same with my iPad G2...happens...

Hey Sukie, I'm sort of taking a break from politics atm. You?

The best way I know of to get a computer for cheap is through Staples.ca. They sell refurbished computers, that's what I'm using. I paid for it with a credit card and then picked it up at my local Staples a week or so later.

As an example of the kind of deals they offer, here's a desktop PC for $125. Not the fastest thing out there, but good enough for what I use a computer for. https://www.staples.ca/en/hp-re...1_1-CA_1_20001

All I've ever used.
Never gave me any dramatic problems....guess I'm just lucky, like that.

Only ever used iPads.Touch wood -I have never had any issues with them.****

@ThePrinceofWales Only ever used iPads.Touch wood -I have never had any issues with them.****

I love iPads but really? I've never been able to send ppl links and graphics much and keeping track of many files is a nightmare. Of course I've been struggling with this old ipad gen2 all along...been promising myself something else...we'll see... Not looking forward to the learning curve with another company! Aargh!

Anonymous