+4

Plastic. How stupid are/were we? Seriously. Do you know you can buy a shampoo bar - which means you save a plastic bottle. (Lush.ca) What was once heralded as something great got taken advantage of and misused. Obviously. Fish are dying...who can breathe when surrounded by plastic?

Do you have any tips that can help the rest of us in regards to plastic...or anything helping the environment, really. Remember that ppl who complained about plastics years ago were thought fanatics...let yourself be a fanatic now.

Sukiesnows avatar Countries & Places
1 16
@2839171

Yeah. What did ppl do BEFORE plastics?

@Sukiesnow Yeah. What did ppl do BEFORE plastics?

The main push behind plastics and "disposable" containers were companies who used to sell things in glass bottles ... like milk and soda. They were also required to recycle those glass bottles. So they went to plastic because it was less expensive and they didn't have to recycle them. Then those same companies bought the advertising telling people to clean up their garbage and recycle it. Putting the burden on the consumer, rather than the manufacturer.

@Walt_OReagun The main push behind plastics and "disposable" containers were companies who used to sell things in glass...

People were stupid. We are still stupid...but are trying to deal. Paying the consequences...as will future gens.

They didn't have stuff conveniently. Imagine storing everything in glass or wood. Imagine how expensive it was and how much less of it there would be because they take time to make. Oh yeah instead of plastic we get to kill more trees because that's what was used to store things before. Same deal with metal only that it's a bit more inert compared to plastic.

@2839171

And Do NOT use BLEACH! That KILLS! Use something like H2o2 35% food grade heavily diluted.

Sure plastic is bad but it's our fault. If people complain about plastic but have never recycled in their life deserve a punch in the face with a steel chair. Plastic wouldn't be a problem if it was properly handled. Get the hard beating stick of law and heavily fine people who don't recycle their plastic see how things change. You can't deny that plastic is a very cheap and convenient way to temporarily store any kind of product.

They tell us not to use plastic straws, but then at the grocery store, all the bags are plastic, and I get home with a lot of them.

@StarzAbove They tell us not to use plastic straws, but then at the grocery store, all the bags are plastic, and I get home...

I've heard some restaurants are switching to stainless steel straws. Given how "clean" their glasses and utensils sometimes are, I would refuse a reusable straw from them.

Some cities are now outlawing plastic bags. I heard of one that is even trying to outlaw paper bags - so people have to bring their own, or buy a reusable bag at the store.

@Walt_OReagun I've heard some restaurants are switching to stainless steel straws. Given how "clean" their glasses and utensils...

No way would I used a stainless steel straw. lol

At the Aldi stores here in another town close by, you have to bring your own bags and you have to bag all your groceries....I never shop there.

@StarzAbove No way would I used a stainless steel straw. lol At the Aldi stores here in another town close by, you have...

You can carry about your own personal stainless steel straw. And containers for coffee! I see ppl do that all the time.

Oh and BTW...do NOT use BLEACH! There are better cleansers on the market that aren't KILLERS!! Like H2o2 35% Food Grade not the Drug Store stuff. Be careful!! Dilute.

Anonymous