dru18s avatar Animals & Nature
5 33
@2841340

Who knows when it comes to outdoor animals. I think he was sore because he has been walking in a stiff and slow manner. And the weather has been unseasonably warm which allows for ' cat romance' to rear its ugly head.

I know now to listen to his body behavior. He tried to be nice by just stiffening his body when I would try to pick him up, then when I wouldn't listen, he had to get tough.

I think animals understand us a lot better than we do them. Humans are always a step behind.

@2841319

LOL! I have done similar things, myself, Will. They looked at me like I was dirt for awhile. They act like it was done on purpose.

Naturally curious, but equally suspicious.

Thank you, Will. I am going to baby him with extra treats. and be more patient.

@2841317

He is always fighting, and has the scars and cauliflower ears to prove it. I think he was sore underneath and when I put my hands there to pick him up, he lashed out. At first he would just stiffen up, but then I stupidly persisted, and he had no choice.but to bite. He can't tell me to back off.

I was ashamed at my own reaction. I hope I didn't ruin things forever.

@2841327

I will act like nothing happened, and give him more treats to eat. I am sure he will make me grovel a little.

@dru18 He is always fighting, and has the scars and cauliflower ears to prove it. I think he was sore underneath and when...

Sounds like that cat is feral. If a cat is born hidden from humans as a kitten it most likely never get fully used to them. I've seen such cats, never managed to earn their trust. There was this weird male young one that kept coming to my window pushing the blinds with its head looking for my attention but then never let me touch it

@Sunny_the_skeptic Sounds like that cat is feral. If a cat is born hidden from humans as a kitten it most likely never get fully used...

Its hard to say since he has been letting me pick him up and kissing him on top of his head, ( a girl thing ).
I know he fights constantly and has been walking in a very stiff and slow manner. I think he was sore underneath, maybe his ribs, and putting my hand underneath him did not help matters.

It took me five years to get to this point with him.

I have had cats do that before, even some of the ones I took in.

Sorry that happened, I don't know much about cats, but have had friends who had a cat that would attack one member of the family. They finally had to get rid of it.

@dru18 Wow. I wonder why.

They never knew why, but the cat would hide and when their daughter walked by, he would jump out at her. Never did anything to any of the other family members.... it was Persian, and they thought it was just it's temperament.

@StarzAbove They never knew why, but the cat would hide and when their daughter walked by, he would jump out at her. Never...

I think he/she was playing. I had a Siamese who use to chase the kid next door. And yes, their playing can get rough.

@dru18 I think he/she was playing. I had a Siamese who use to chase the kid next door. And yes, their playing can get rough.

The cat would scratch and tear into her, he never acted like that with other members of the family. It got so bad that she was afraid to walk down the hall for fear the cat would attack. And they always had cats and dogs.

@StarzAbove The cat would scratch and tear into her, he never acted like that with other members of the family. It got so bad...

Well, my Siamese had something against the kid next door. But it didn't help that 'Tom' would freeze up in fear the moment he saw the cat. They can read fear in people and they have a jolly good time with that.

I once scared my cat intentionally, I creeped up on it, didn't think it'd work since cats have sharp senses. My cat screamed as I startled it, never thought I'd hear a cat scream, I felt so bad for doing it. Luckily it didn't hold that against me. The only reason I did it was to see if I could sneak up on a predator with sharp hearing.

@Sunny_the_skeptic I once scared my cat intentionally, I creeped up on it, didn't think it'd work since cats have sharp senses. My cat...

It is hard to sneak up on them. Those ears are constantly on alert.

No, of course he wouldn't hold it against you, you already established that you were his friend. A friend with a strange sense of humor. mischief smilie

@dru18 It is hard to sneak up on them. Those ears are constantly on alert. No, of course he wouldn't hold it against...

I didn't know what would happen, so after that I picked up the cat to comfort it. It was an interesting kitten, it liked to go mountain climber and climb on top of me using it's nails, rather painful.

@Sunny_the_skeptic I didn't know what would happen, so after that I picked up the cat to comfort it. It was an interesting kitten, it...

One very unique kitty cat, most cats don't like adventures, like mountain climbing.

LOL! My favorite is when they kneed on you. It's suppose to be a sign of love. A painful love.

Yes. There was this one stray "tom" cat I'd formerly tried to gain trust with, that I did something I should have known was stupid. My neighbor friend and I were both trying to figure out what we could best do to help him.
I put the dry food I had taken out there for him in my palm, when he wasn't eating or drinking out of the bowls. I got a deep puncture bite in that palm. I don't think I said anything to him, though. I just came inside and cleaned out the wound.

@Piper2 Yes. There was this one stray "tom" cat I'd formerly tried to gain trust with, that I did something I should...

Nothing worse than a bite from a cat and I applaud you for keeping your cool. You reacted in a mature way, the way I SHOULD have acted.

This cat has allowed me to pick him up and cuddle him, and I know that trust did not come easy for him.

When he wouldn't allow me to do it this week, I should have known he was in pain from fighting. I pushed him and he reacted.

@dru18 Nothing worse than a bite from a cat and I applaud you for keeping your cool. You reacted in a mature way, the way...

I didn't keep my cool so much before that, when he was in a stand-off with my own male cat, and my little dog got out in the yard also. I really did care about that cat though. Also and most crucial..getting him neutered first.

@Piper2 I didn't keep my cool so much before that, when he was in a stand-off with my own male cat, and my little dog...

Understandable. You had to protect your kitty cat. I am at a loss when it comes to making the decision to get this cat neutered. He just looks so old and so beaten up. Right now I just want to get him to a vet and get his infections and pain under control.

"I did care about that cat though" Knowing you, Piper, we never had any doubt.

@2841452

I was ashamed at how I reacted, like a selfish brat. He gave me more than ample warnings when he would stiffen up, and I ignored them. You are right, he was in pain from fighting and wanted me to leave him alone. I have only myself to blame.

I want to find him a home. I don't want him to die a painful death from fight wounds. I have a vet who is willing to work with me on finding this guy a suitable home.

This is a very sore subject for me at this time and I feel selfish for not going into it right now, but I will later on. I’ve been through a few similar situations. But, no, you shouldn’t feel bad. I actually can’t remember your original question, lol, and a recent bad memory is preventing me from going back to it. I know it sounds crazy... I lost a cat recently due tiny help...but I know how you’re feeling. You should be proud of yourself for caring so much.

@Qazzie This is a very sore subject for me at this time and I feel selfish for not going into it right now, but I will...

I am so sorry for your loss, Qazzie. I honestly don't know why we love them so much, because eventually, they are going to break our hearts.

Even when you are going through your own grief, you are trying to comfort me. Thank you.

Anonymous