Why are union workers hostile toward non-union employees who come onto their property?

The trucking company I work for is non-union. Sometimes we pull loads for unionized companies, like UPS and YRC Freight, simply because they've got more work than they can handle. I've always felt a negative vibe as soon as I pull onto their property for the load. On a few occasions I've even been berated and lectured by random associates about how it's union property and I need to leave. I do not choose my loads. I did not instigate these occassions and I am not anti-union. But due to the fact this sort of thing has happened more than once or twice, it doesn't help my perspective of union workers. What would cause these particular unionized workers to act in such a hostile manner?

StickCavemans avatar Money & Economics
4 11

They do it because the company chose to farm-out the work rather than paying overtime.

It seems like the company has the right to do that (and they do), But think of it like this - let's say your company cuts back your hours to 30 per week, and then hires a few minimum wage workers to fill in for you? You say "well that's how the market works," and you are right.

The union workers are feeling the way I image you would feel - undervalued and underappreciated. You have probably done plenty over the years to show you are hardworking and loyal to the company and rather than throw you a bone during the busy season (or hiring more help) the company gives "your" work to someone else.

They got a tax cut to stimulate the economy and instead they cut back on expense - so much for "trickle down".

@VicZinc They do it because the company chose to farm-out the work rather than paying overtime. It seems like the...

Why don't they take it out on their company then? Why take it out on an unsuspecting driver?

In defense of the company, with the way freight moves around the country, it's not always possible to hire new associates right away to cover the workload. And it wouldn't really be practical if it's just a short spike in freight.

@StickCaveman Why don't they take it out on their company then? Why take it out on an unsuspecting driver? In defense of the...

I agree with Theseus. Perception, not right but real.

And in my experience, the union members don't understand why those "scab" drivers are not in solidarity with them. They likely think everyone should refuse to do the work until the company offers appropriate concessions.

@2841738

We have drivers who run a dedicated line for YRC. One of them posted in our Facebook group that during their pretrip to connect to the YRC doubles, they found that a dolly safety chain had been attached to a 5th wheel release handle. For those who don't know: Pulling the 5th wheel release handle while going down the road would release the trailer from the truck. At the very least, a dropped trailer would be instant termination for the driver. At the very worst, an out of control trailer can end people's lives.

Some members of our upper management were able to see the post and get more information from our driver so they could follow up with YRC. It seems it was hooked there to set the driver up for failure.

kind of like the united states

Anonymous