+2

Is it past time for Congress to rewrite the 1976 National Emergencies Act?

There are still "National Emergency" decrees from decades ago, that are still in effect.

The longest-standing decree dates to November 1979, when President Jimmy Carter froze Iran's U.S.-held assets.

Seems the law should allow the President to act quickly for true emergencies ... but say Congress has to approve the action within a year, or things revert back how they were before the decree.

President Has Extraordinary Authority Under Emergency Declarations That Have Gone Unchecked | Brennan Center for JusticeA Brennan Center analysis shows need for Congress to rein in powers that are ripe for abusehttps://www.brennancenter.org/press-release/president-has-extraordinary-authority-under-emergency-declarations-have-gone-unchecked
100%Yes0%No
Walt_OReaguns avatar Politics
3 10
@2845288

if you think you can predict anything these days … you have no foresight … the next election will be a smack on the back of the head...anything is possible now...

What if people let him do it????

@2845480

I meant the author of the article specifically but anyone else who trys as well.

Some people are negative people and see the bad things in the future. They go to sleep and worry about Atom bombs and invaders. They check the closet three times and get disappointed when it's empty. They film everything but have nothing exciting on tape and they don't understand why. these are the people who champion words like change but fear it the most, because they will never change themselves while expecting other people to.
These people can't imagine a world different because they are comfortable. To these people progress works backwards with the only possible achievement being to take away from their winnings. Who are they... well I guess they are me , when I get weak, and they are you just the same.
Pink pussy hats and screaming at the sky is fine with me, reminds me of religion. what ever floats your boat. I don't care how fruity or crazy you are. What bothers me is when you look at me and assume you know what my motives are, when i'm good it's too good to be true and I must have some ulterior motive but when i'm "bad" it much worst then my actions , you can tell whats gonna happen next and I should be punished justly for what I was thinking because that's much worst then my actual actions.
Just like before the election and I was a sheep and happy Hilary was getting elected I saw a positive future. Now that i'm more educated and even with Trump in the office I still see a positive future. Because i'm a positive person and I will never let an elected government run un hinged. Regardless of whos in power.

The time needs to be shorter , like a day or week. that's how you know congress is hiding the break down of checks and balances.

@unknowncondition The time needs to be shorter , like a day or week. that's how you know congress is hiding the break down of checks...

If Congress can act on something that quickly ... it's really not an "emergency" that needs the President to bypass them for. IMO, anyway.

@Walt_OReagun If Congress can act on something that quickly ... it's really not an "emergency" that needs the President to bypass...

all those big books, behind those smart fuckers, have lists of dumbass words beside the, "meteor of a word "emergency""
Sounds like a trigger word.
Maybe a little description is necessary.
I'm sure there is a procedure on hurricanes.
Not every "emergency" is crated equal.

@unknowncondition all those big books, behind those smart fuckers, have lists of dumbass words beside the, "meteor of a word...

Yeah. The whole purpose of the law is to enable the President to act quickly, whereas Congress gets bogged down by having to go through committee(s). Thus, I was addressing: if Congress was able to act within a day or week, it wouldn't be an "emergency" per the intent of the law.