+11

People need to keep children on tight leashes in public areas.

Last week - Once again stupidity endangers zoo animals. Stupid people not paying attention to their stupid children, then the animal who is already a captive is shot for looking at the stupid kid who crawled or fell into the pit the poor animal is locked into. It is the people who need to keep the kid on a tight leash in order to protect the poor animals.

Toddler hurt falling into rhino exhibit at Florida zoo | fox8.comMELBOURNE, Fla. -- Officials say a 2-year-old girl has been injured after falling into the rhinoceros exhibit at a Florida zoo. Brevard County Fire Rescue officials said the girl was taken to an Orlando hospital for treatment Tuesday afternoon. Her mother was also taken to a hospital for treatment. The incident happened at the Brevard Zoo in Melbourne.https://fox8.com/2019/01/01/toddler-hurt-falling-into-rhino-exhibit-at-florida-zoo/
LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundreds avatar Animals & Nature
4 9

In this unfortunate New Year's Day case incident, I'm not sure how much stupidity was to blame. The 2 year old stumbled backward into the enclosure, somehow. One of the parents should certainly have been holding on to to child, of course, if they were not. The bars separating guests from the Rhinos are around 11 inches apart, plenty wide enough for small people to slip through.

Thankfully, the child is doing well and no Rhinos were harmed....this time.

@Piper2 In this unfortunate New Year's Day case incident, I'm not sure how much stupidity was to blame. The 2 year old...

Piper you had heard of this already? I do think it is stupidity to allow a child any freedom in a dangerous area. I remember when I was a kid there was a zoo we visited every summer, my parants only let me free to go to the dollhouse playground, My parants loved me took good care, so that is one reason I never could be in charge of kids- too much care I even feel worried for kids I see loose in the mall. I just feel people should love their kids enough to keep them safe.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Piper you had heard of this already? I do think it is stupidity to allow a child any freedom in a dangerous...

Yes. It happened a few hours away, and was reported on the local news. I'm certainly not disagreeing with you, that parents should do their very best to keep their children safe.

I suspect that the mother of the child who fell into Harambe's enclosure, was not paying enough attention to her 3 or 4 year old son.

How do you fall into the pit?It ought to be impossible!

@ThePrinceofWales How do you fall into the pit?It ought to be impossible!

not when you have parents who think its funny to put their kids on the railing and not hold on to them, (the only way i can imagine things like this happening), seeing the video its the only way it could have happened

@deusvult not when you have parents who think its funny to put their kids on the railing and not hold on to them, (the only...

Survival of the fittest at work? these days fit is diligence and care, so many feel the world owes them protection from all - a few years ago people knew enough to care for their kids

I agree Lorraine. Most parents do watch their children, but there's always a few that think nothing will ever happen to their kids and let them run wild. I'm just glad nothing seriously happened to the child.

@StarzAbove I agree Lorraine. Most parents do watch their children, but there's always a few that think nothing will ever...

Starz I am glad also that the kid was ok and the animal too, but hey watching animal behaviours on tv I know the rhino could have trampled the kid cause that is just what rhinos do naturally. Will parents ever learn it is their own responsibility to care for the kids they have in their carewhat smilie

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Starz I am glad also that the kid was ok and the animal too, but hey watching animal behaviours on tv I know the...

Like I said, Lorraine, some parents don't think anything is going to happen to their kids and let them run wild. I held onto my kids hands at all time, especially at a zoo or a large gathering. These days, letting a child run free is just asking for trouble. Not only because of animals, but because there are so many perverts out there, just waiting to grab a child.