+9

You know it's going to be a bad day when you get arrested for stealing your own car. :)

The headline caught my eye so I thought I would share the article. Many bad assumptions were made to make this go off the tracks. JMHO

Man 'arrested for stealing his own car' wins settlement - BBC NewsIllinois police arrested Lawrence Crosby for theft but it turned out to be his own car.https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46970628
Will_Janitors avatar News & Current Events
10 15

Based on what I read in the article, this is one of those times when I think a lawsuit was justified.

@Will_Janitor I agree if that was the whole story.

I don't know about you, but I always wonder is there is more to a story. If the extent of his "resisting arrest" was not immediately lying on the ground when ordered to, and the police proceeded to tackle him and strike him 10 times? I'd say that was excessive force.

@2850144

I believe that is often the case...yes.

What a world!

@2850137

Because the laws give police a lower standard than your average citizen.
A lot of these police abuses of power would disappear, if police had to abide the same laws as average citizens.
A biggie would be police shootings ... if they had to meet the same "self defense" standard as average citizens. The average citizen has to feel "reasonable" fear of their life, before they can use deadly force - not so police officers. They just have to CLAIM they "felt threatened". It doesn't have to be a reasonable fear.

If the story is true, then I hope he gets his million dollars. No one should be treated that way. People have gone nuts.

@2850145

I agree. But if a black guy doesn't do exactly what they want the minute they say it, then out comes the excessive force.

@2850164

I still respect them, but there are a lot of bad apples in the basket. They put their lives on the line every day. I have an uncle who is in law enforcement, what a worry that has been.

Some cops are idiots, but glad that he won the settlement.