Due to extreme cold weather, our garbage pickup was delayed until today. Last week our neighbors put out a large sofa to be picked up, which was hauled away. Today they have put out another sofa to be picked up.
Is there a limit to what can be picked up and hauled away in your area?

We are allowed 10 bags each week, but people abuse this and sometimes have 15 or more, especially in the Fall when they rake and bag their leaves.

Image for post Due to extreme cold weather, our garbage pickup was delayed until today.   Last week our neighbors put out a large sofa to be picked up, which was hauled away.   Today they have put out another sofa to be picked up.  

9% won't haul away electronics 27% extremely large items 36% We pay them, they should haul away everything we put out 27% I have no idea. maybe it says what can and cannot be picked up in the contract
StarzAboves avatar Jobs & Employment
9 25
@2850311

You're right, some neighbors suck. I'm sure that if this couch is picked up, then there will be a lot more big items like that left out on the street. We have a really nice neighbor to the right of us, he will help us whenever we need him, and vice versa, but he's too tight to pay for garbage pickup and him and his other neighbor split the price. Also, this guy has a lot of junk out in his back yard, a large sofa, that's been there for a long time, and other miscellaneous junk. We have a a Neighborhood Association that doesn't allow that kind of thing, but unless someone reports him, nothing will be done. We won't report him, because he is a really nice guy and good neighbor other than that.

That video you posted shows what can happen when people are in disagreement about anything anymore. Thanks for posting it.

@2850314

I know. People will fight and kill over just about anything anymore.

Looks like that garbage collector in the video is having a bad day. Ha!

Maybe his girlfriend broke up with him.

Will_Janitors avatar Will_Janitor extremely large items +4Reply
@Will_Janitor Looks like that garbage collector in the video is having a bad day. Ha! Maybe his...

It is sad some of the stuff people throw out could be used by others, take half good stuff to salvation army or goodwill, at least it gets a chance to be used.

We have to call ahead of time to arrange for the pickup of large items, and there's a limit on the number of times per year for each household (I think it's 2 or 3). For anything beyond that, people are expected to haul it to the dump themselves or pay a private company.

@JanHaskell We have to call ahead of time to arrange for the pickup of large items, and there's a limit on the number of times...

Whenever I have had a large piece of furniture, I've called Goodwill and they will come get it for free.

Furniture can be put out here with the regular trash, but there is a limit of two items per pick-up day.
They will pick up E-Scrap for a fee, but we always take it to the landfill facility ourselves.

@Piper2 Furniture can be put out here with the regular trash, but there is a limit of two items per pick-up day. They...

As far as I know, we can put out just about anything if it is bagged. Today they picked up a couch across the street that was covered with snow....just put it in the truck and went on down the street.

They have different rules depending on your area. They won't take a large piece of furniture unless you cut it up. No air conditioners, water softeners, gas engines.

Will_Janitors avatar Will_Janitor extremely large items +3Reply
@Will_Janitor They have different rules depending on your area. They won't take a large piece of furniture unless you cut it...

That's the way it should be. We haven't put out anything of that sort, in fact we just have one "lonely" little garbage bag out each week. lol

Over here my council stuff will collect stuff that isn't normal trash for £25.Three items in that price.
However if you stick anything metal/elecrtrical by the gate it soon disappears for nothing....

@ThePrinceofWales Over here my council stuff will collect stuff that isn't normal trash for £25.Three items in that price. However...

The Goodwill Stores will pick up furniture for free. They pickup just about anything people want to get rid of.

@StarzAbove The Goodwill Stores will pick up furniture for free. They pickup just about anything people want to get rid of.

I've found if I put a piece of furniture on the street with a free sign, it will stay there forever, but if you put a sign saying $25.00, someone will steal it within an hour. lol

@2850340

People will steal just about anything. lol

@2850360

Having a very bad day. lol The pickup in our area is on Thursdays and it's very convenient. They even have a truck that picks up Recyclying. Money well spent.

They have to fit in the garbage bin, provided by the city.

EternalSailorSols avatar EternalSailorSol extremely large items +2Reply

They have to fit inside the garbage bin thing that the city provides. Same idea with the recycling.

OH that was excessive 2 sofas. In my community we have dumpsters for trash but someone always leaving big old tv or furniture which is not allowed. In my town you can only leave for pickup regular trash in cans or bags, If you want to get rid of ok looking big stuff put it on the curb with a for sale sign, someone will steal it for sure, they think they got a prize and you got free trash pickup biggrin smilie