+8

How have all of you been holding out during this unusual cold spell?

My state got slammed this year. We got over a foot of snow and cold spells that set records. I personally question that last part since I remember the winter of 83/84. Never had so many school days off, and the temps were 20 below freezing.

Only mishap that happened to me is that a car slammed into mine on the hyway and sent mine spining off into a ditch. Was stuck there for three hours waiting for the police. It was 22 degrees.

I hope that all of you are coming out of this deep freeze and that it wasnt too bad for you.

Image for post How have all of you been holding out during this unusual cold spell?
dru18s avatar Family
8 68

Haven't really had any unusual cold.

Next week, there's rain for most of the week, getting into the 70's and maybe reaching 80.

Hope you're thawing out.

@DandyDon Haven't really had any unusual cold. Next week, there's rain for most of the week, getting into the 70's and maybe...

Yes, after the police got an earful, I thawed out quite nicely.

You must live out west. We won't be seeing seventy on a regular basis for a couple of months.

@dru18 Yes, after the police got an earful, I thawed out quite nicely. You must live out west. We won't be seeing...

No..South.

It could be in the 70's next week and back cold the following week, either way it doesn't stop the rain..

@DandyDon No..South. It could be in the 70's next week and back cold the following week, either way it doesn't stop the rain..

Rain would get old after awhile. I don't see how my sister tolerates Seattle. How cold does it get in your state?

@dru18 Rain would get old after awhile. I don't see how my sister tolerates Seattle. How cold does it get in your state?

Mostly 40's but sometimes it'll get colder than that, 30's and it might drop down to the teens a couple of times.

Add the humidity, some wind and it cuts right through you, even at 40 degrees.

@DandyDon Mostly 40's but sometimes it'll get colder than that, 30's and it might drop down to the teens a couple of...

Wow, I am ignorant when it comes to knowing anything about the winters down South. I always thought it was beach weather, year round.

Not to mention that cold /humidity combo does a number on joints.

@dru18 Wow, I am ignorant when it comes to knowing anything about the winters down South. I always thought it was beach...

I live right between Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

You got that right, I'm using a heating pad on my shoulder right now.
Don't remember if it was when I picked up something heavy or exactly what I did.

@DandyDon I live right between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. You got that right, I'm using a heating pad on my shoulder right...

You live in a very interesting part of the South. I love it's rich history.

Too many times pain just comes out of nowhere, with no explanation.

No problems here.  It got cold, about 5F (-20F wind chill), but no snow or ice.

I'm sorry to hear about your car accident. Hope you are ok now.

And yes, you are right about cold snaps like this not being particularly extraordinary, historically speaking.
https://www.amirite.com/825135#comment-2850172

Thinkerbells avatar Thinkerbell Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Thinkerbell No problems here.  It got cold, about 5F (-20F wind chill), but no snow or ice.   I'm sorry to hear about your...

Thank you. Nice of you to say.

When my car got hit, I was not hurt, but I kept wondering where my car would stop, and would I still be unhurt. I kept thinking 'Please God, don't let it spin into a 18 wheeler'.

But fortunately neither the people in the other car, or myself, was hurt. Even their German Shephard puppy came through just fine. We were all very lucky. I was annoyed at the police though. The accident was called in at 6:10, but I didn't get back on the road until 9:00.

Yeah don't get why they were being so dramatic about these temps.

@dru18 Thank you. Nice of you to say. When my car got hit, I was not hurt, but I kept wondering where my car would stop...

I'm glad no one was hurt, although it certainly seems that 3 hours was much too long for you to wait for the police to show up and get you out of the ditch.
But maybe they had a lot of accidents to deal with.

Thinkerbells avatar Thinkerbell Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Thinkerbell I'm glad no one was hurt, although it certainly seems that 3 hours was much too long for you to wait for the police...

They did have a lot of accidents in that area at the same time, and we took that into consideration. Its just that it was so cold outside and our cars were running out of gas. My car broke it's sway bar. :( ,but it could have been so much worse.

Wasn't snowing heavily, just enough to be dangerous.

@dru18 They did have a lot of accidents in that area at the same time, and we took that into consideration. Its just that...

Yes indeed, it could have been much worse, so I think God was looking out for you after all.  No 18-wheelers, and your gas held out long enough.

Thinkerbells avatar Thinkerbell Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Thinkerbell Yes indeed, it could have been much worse, so I think God was looking out for you after all.  No 18-wheelers...

Indeed, somebody was, and it truly humbles me. I am fully aware that some accident that happened that night didn't have a happy ending. We were so lucky.

@dru18 Indeed, somebody was, and it truly humbles me. I am fully aware that some accident that happened that night didn't...

Yes, things like that remind us of the fragility of our existence.

No one was hurt in the only car accident I've ever been in, but the memory of it persists in slow-motion.  It's amazing, the heightened sense of awareness one has in dangerous situations.

@StarzAbove Thank God you weren't hurt.

Thank you, Starz.

No, and that was a true miracle, considering that the other car hit me full force while doing sixty-five miles an hour.

@dru18 Thank you, Starz. No, and that was a true miracle, considering that the other car hit me full force while doing...

Wow, I hate to think what could have happened at that speed. What was he thinking going 65 on a cold and snowy day.

@StarzAbove Wow, I hate to think what could have happened at that speed. What was he thinking going 65 on a cold and snowy day.

Nice people, but they were going way too fast.

I was in the left lane, they were in the right. Apparently they thought that another car was pulling out from the shoulder, into their pathway, so they swerved into my lane.

I was always told that you never swerve to your left. Anyway, the noise was deafening, and soon the car was driving me.

@StarzAbove I'm sure that was very scary, just glad no one was hurt.

We are being down voted, think I will be talking to Anthony soon.

@dru18 We are being down voted, think I will be talking to Anthony soon.

I noticed that. I just over rode two of yours. I guess some people have nothing better to do.

@2850705

I like your approach to warming your home. I haven't used my fireplace in ages. My heating bills are obscene. Yes, that would wear anyone out. Is it getting any warmer where you are?

We had two days of bitter cold. -20 but I stayed inside. Then it snowed Thursday night, and warmed up Friday and today (Saturday) most of the snow is gone, the roads are clear, and we're expecting a temp of 58 on Monday. Crazy weather.

@StarzAbove We had two days of bitter cold. -20 but I stayed inside. Then it snowed Thursday night, and warmed up Friday...

That is very cold. One of my friends in Maryland is still having those kind of temps.

Same here, we are expecting highs near seventy on Tuesday. I don't like that either, because it is too much of a swing.

@dru18 That is very cold. One of my friends in Maryland is still having those kind of temps. Same here, we are expecting...

I was at the grocery store this morning, it's still cold out but there was an older man in shorts. Crazy people. I just wish it would warm up and stay that way....but sometimes our heaviest snow is in March.

@dru18 Same here, March comes in like a Lion, and quite often leaves like one too.

When we get a heavy snow in March it's usually gone pretty quickly. We've had snow in April.

@StarzAbove When we get a heavy snow in March it's usually gone pretty quickly. We've had snow in April.

Same here when I lived in Pennsylvania as a child. I saw many a Easter egg hunts held inside because of the snow.

@dru18 Too touristy for me. Horrible traffic jams.

I've been there a couple times in February, and the weather didn't cooperate at all. One day out on the golf course, we were freezing, I called it quits after the second hole, but the rest of them played through. I went to the car, had a snack and took a nap. lol

I don't like this extreme cold. It was down to 65 yesterday and only 60 today and raining.

@Flrdsgns No thank you, 65 is cold enough for me

65 would be like summer to us here in the ice box. lol

@StarzAbove 65 would be like summer to us here in the ice box. lol

On the coast, we have a very narrow range of temperature, 60 in the winter and 78 in the summer. Anything colder or warmer just isn't acceptable at the beach. lol

@dru18 "only"? LOL!

But it was windy and it cuts right though you. I think my blood may be a bit on the thin side.

@Flrdsgns But it was windy and it cuts right though you. I think my blood may be a bit on the thin side.

Oh, you would have hated the wind chill temps last week in my state. They were brutal. There were times when I couldn't get my breath.

A friend of mine near Phoenix, AZ was telling me how cold it was in his area, 34 degrees. Around here that would be balmy!
Lots of car accidents, 27 car pileup on one road and numerous crashes on several others. Schools were closed for a day so we all can't wait for spring to come.
Glad your mishap was minor.

@ozzyboy A friend of mine near Phoenix, AZ was telling me how cold it was in his area, 34 degrees. Around here that would be...

That is kind of chilly for Arizona.

Thank you. It was a wake up call to me. that there are people out there who shouldn't be allowed to drive in snow.

I walked outside this morning and thought to myself, "Wow, it's warm today!" It was 15 degrees...

61 degrees here in Colorado today.

@JustJimColo 61 degrees here in Colorado today.

What about last week, Jim? We are having seventy=three degrees today. And just think, this time last week, it was below zero.

@JustJimColo It hasn't been too bad this year here.

Didn't get hit by the Polar Vortex? For some reason, I picture Colorado as always being cold, with lots of snow. Image in content

@JustJimColo The Mountains get the snow, but not so much on the plains anymore.

I guess Colorado is changing too. :( Despite the fear of an accident, and the chore of shoveling, I actually love the snow. I could live happily being surrounded by snow year round.

It doesn't get below freezing very often, in SW Florida. I have sympathy for those who have been dealing with the extreme cold, for sure.

@dru18 Especially our homeless brothers and sisters.

Yes, especially anyone who doesn't have the means to keep warm enough.

I have lived in places where it gets very cold, but not as brutally cold as what has been going on around this country, lately.

@Piper2 Yes, especially anyone who doesn't have the means to keep warm enough. I have lived in places where...

They closed the homeless shelter two years ago in St. Louis, and so many people suffered this last week as a result.

I am glad your winters are not harsh. I like cold better than heat, but this extreme was disturbing.

@dru18 They closed the homeless shelter two years ago in St. Louis, and so many people suffered this last week as a...

That's really sad. There are even homeless shelters here, and places that provide temporary shelters when it gets cold.

So am I, thanks. I actually love it when it gets cold here for awhile, Problem is though, that marine life suffers....especially manatees.

Anonymous