Bad science: What bizarre things did you believe as a kid?

Some of mine:
-I thought that because hurricanes had names and because they have an "eye", then they must be living creatures. Thus, it was possible to destroy them in hand-to-hand combat. I thought tornados were living too, so I used to practice my tornado-fighting skills in my backyard when I was five.

-When I was little, I had a water gun fun with my brothers in my basement. Later that night, I went back to the basement to get something, and I noticed a puddle of water from the fight. I saw the water move slightly, thus I concluded that the water was actually expanding! I started getting really anxious afterwards that water left unattended would keep growing until it flooded the house.

-During the 2004 election, when I was too little to understand what a president was, I was an avid George Bush fan because my next door neighbor told me that if John Kerry won, he would kill all the girls. That same neighbor told me that winter that Bush was going to build a force field over the Earth so it would never snow again, so I started hating him.

Yeah, I wasn't the brightest little kid

SandraSmartss avatar Science
10 23

I thought, if you swallowed a bean...a plant would grow from your stomach and up through your mouth.

Heartburn for sure.

Well, I didn't go blind after all.

my dad ran a grocery store he told me sausages grew on trees so I believed him .

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred my dad ran a grocery store he told me sausages grew on trees so I believed him .

My dad told me there were spaghetti trees. He even showed me a picture of a woman picking
spaghetti off a tree.

@2850817

Um... I kinda believe that first one, even today.
Where else is the air going to go...? biggrin smilie

@2850817

there was candy that looked like a black person once
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/8...21456/?lp=true

OMG if black people were made of chocolate there would be no black people alive, because they would have been consumed , I did see a recipe that included slaves blood someplace, but I don't know if that was a persons blood OR if slaves made pudding from some animal blood. That I would believe as many people who lived on the African dry lands made something to eat from blood of animals domesticated or hunted .

At the end of the century everyone died and the dinosaurs came back.I was wrong😹

I thought adults were supposed to tell the truth. What a rude awakening that was!

@Masha I caught my folks lying through their teeth as a kid.

It kind of makes you lose faith in adults, doesn't it?

@ozzyboy It kind of makes you lose faith in adults, doesn't it?

Said loss of faith in adults is still with me. And I’m in my late twenties to boot.hehe smilie

The Earth was not flat.

My Mom told me that I had to clean my plate every meal or the kids in China would die. Scared me to death. And to this day, I always clean my plate. lol

@StarzAbove My Mom told me that I had to clean my plate every meal or the kids in China would die. Scared me to death. And...

I was told to eat everything on my plate because kids were starving in China. When there was Brussels sprouts, I always thought starvation was the preferable option.

@Flrdsgns I was told to eat everything on my plate because kids were starving in China. When there was Brussels sprouts, I...

lol I think we had the same kind of Mothers...lol Maybe that's why I hate kale. You think? lol

that kissing could get someone pregnant.lmao

Anonymous