YoAdriennes avatar Politics
2 4

"the United States of America, the greatest experiment in liberty and individual freedom the world has ever known."

It sounds nice doesn't it? I hear people say that from time to time, and in my opinion, it's a mind fuck. Here's my logic: You don't carry on an experiment indefinitely, you eventually reach a conclusion, publish it, and move on to other experiments - calling something an experiment suggests it's temporary.

Calling freedom an experiment also suggests an absence of choice, like it was something some grand overseers decided to impart on America rather than something Americans fought to achieve.

How would it feel to call gender equality an experiment? "America's experiment with women's voting." If liberty and individual freedom is an experiment, by extension, so is gender equality. But they don't want you to think about it in those terms.

Freedom isn't an experiment, it's your heritage, hard won by your ancestors, something you have a responsibility to defend and pass to future generations.

@Maze "the United States of America, the greatest experiment in liberty and individual freedom the world has ever...

Indeed it is our heritage to defend and pass on.

But I fear there is an experimental part, namely, "...whether any nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure," and that we have "a Republic, if you can keep it."
There are malign forces today, working to see that we don't.

In the last several decades the radical left has engaged in a culture war against the United States that seeks to undermine the Constitution and replace it with a “living document” that would support collectivism aka socialism....just sayin!

Anonymous