Amazing Technology: I've been tracking a flight from London to Chicago this morning. Amazing, I watched that plane on my computer all the way, it has now landed safely. Have you ever done this before? Care to share?

Family members have been vacationing in Europe and flew home from London to Chicago today. I was able to track their flight all the way. It has now landed. Wow.....Amazing technology.

Image for post Amazing Technology:  I've been tracking a flight from London to Chicago this morning.   Amazing, I watched that plane on my computer all the way, it has now landed safely.   Have you ever done this before?  Care to share?
13% interesting 53% i've never done that 33% i've done that before
StarzAboves avatar Technology
7 18
@2859720

I've done it a few times when I've had the time.

@2859697

That's what I was using. It's amazing.

I have not, but I can understand the appeal of it. I'm not entirely sure I'd want to know sooner rather than later, though, if my loved one's plane did not arrive and land safely.

Piper2s avatar Piper2 i've never done that +7Reply
@Piper2 I have not, but I can understand the appeal of it. I'm not entirely sure I'd want to know sooner rather than...

I want to know if they have arrived safely and if not, I could find out why or what happened.

It surely would be pretty scary to see right away in the tracker that something didn't go right.

primeiros avatar primeiro i've done that before +4Reply
@primeiro It surely would be pretty scary to see right away in the tracker that something didn't go right.

Yes, that's what I thinking, of course...seeing something go terribly wrong.

Piper2s avatar Piper2 i've never done that +3Reply

Never done that..

Let me know when they have one for Santa.

DandyDons avatar DandyDon i've never done that +6Reply

Track one from Scotland to Bristol or Cardiff.Will go right over my house!

ThePrinceofWaless avatar ThePrinceofWales i've done that before +6Reply

I have not ... but apparently my aunt did that for our flight to Florida. She gave me all the details of our time in the sky. a smilie

@JanHaskell I have not ... but apparently my aunt did that for our flight to Florida. She gave me all the details of our time...

It's very interesting to watch every movement of a plane. Awesome that the technology can track every plane.

I have done this before, and enjoy doing it.

Nope.

We have heard some "low flying" military maneuvers during the summer. Sounds like they are just on the other side of the hill. But they don't show up on those maps.

I heard a news story a few months ago, that a passenger with a tablet has more idea of what is going on around the plane, than the flight crew does. The passenger can get live weather and flight pattern updates with far more detail than the flight crew.

Walt_OReaguns avatar Walt_OReagun i've never done that +4Reply

Yep.

It feels good to be able to check it and be assured that nothing went wrong so far.

primeiros avatar primeiro i've done that before +3Reply

I've heard of train stations having a similar thing, pretty darn neat.

ChonkyDaves avatar ChonkyDave interesting +3Reply
Anonymous