+34

What is politically correct in one group is not the same as what's politically correct in another group. Words and ideas that some find offensive, others find perfectly acceptable. For example, some ideas that would be PC in a Western university would be VERY politically incorrect among conservative Muslims, and vice versa. What's politically correct to you depends on your politics. Amirite?

Some groups are more tolerant than others, but all groups have standards for what are "acceptable words and opinions" to throw around. Even if you're a conservative who believes strongly in free speech, you're not going to like it if somebody keeps using newspeak and advocating open borders and socialism, to you that person is being politically incorrect. You may let it slide, you may even embrace the opportunity for debate, but that doesn't change the fact that they're being politically incorrect from your perspective.

So stop letting one group of people put forth the idea that their version of what's politically correct is the only one, because it's not. What's politically correct to you depends on your politics.

Image for post What is politically correct in one group is not the same as what's politically correct in another group. Words and ideas that some find offensive, others find perfectly acceptable. For example, some ideas that would be PC in a Western university would be VERY politically incorrect among conservative Muslims, and vice versa. What's politically correct to you depends on your politics. Amirite?
Mazes avatar
5 17
The voters have decided that Maze is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I ain't PC at all and never will. Someone corrected me one day that it is no longer socially acceptable to say "Gingerbread man"...screw that. If people don't like what I have to say then they shouldn't listen.

If someone gets butthurt because I don't use the correct term especially online well I do happen to have virtual tissues available.

Lil_Princesss avatar Lil_Princess Yeah You Are +3Reply

I have a different take on what PC means.

To me, a PC statement is one that is demonstrably wrong, objectively speaking, but which you are pressured or forced to accept as true for political or ideological reasons, if you know what's good for you.

for example, "Il Duce is always right." in fascist Italy.

Being politically correct is literally just using respectful language. It's largely universal and determined by the victims of marginalization. The only political correct "ideal" is that all humans deserve the same treatment based on their innate identities. Their gender, sex, race, ethnicity, class, height, weight, nationality, etc. shouldn't be a basis for mistreatment. That's literally all it is. Advocating socialism is politically correct, the same way that advocating all sheep be moved to mars is, the same way that shoes should be worn indoors is, the same way that literally anything that doesn't devalue a human being based on their identity is. It's not subjective.

@Skr3wBall Being politically correct is literally just using respectful language. It's largely universal and determined by the...

I believe the concept you're referring to is known as "being polite." It has its merits, but the value of it does not exceed the value of free speech.

@Maze I believe the concept you're referring to is known as "being polite." It has its merits, but the value of it does...

You can be impolite and politically correct. Calling someone stupid or ugly or useless is politically correct. Using slurs is politically incorrect. Again, it's just about using language to attack aspects of someone's innate identity, mainly those that are used to oppress them. Also using your free speech to be a bigot is stupid, if you hear "free speech" and think you have to use it to belittle black people or those with disabilities then you're trash. Not to mention that free speech and political correctness have nothing to do with each other, there is literally no example of the government stepping in to arrest someone for poor word choice, the only free speech encroachment we've faced as a nation is Trump blocking people on twitter.

@Skr3wBall You can be impolite and politically correct. Calling someone stupid or ugly or useless is politically correct...

So political correctness says it's okay to verbally abuse people for some reasons, but not for others? Seems morally inconsistent. The act of verbally abusing someone is what's wrong, the excuse is basically irrelevant because you never need to be verbally abusive but if you look hard enough you can always find an excuse to do it. But having the right to free speech means you have the right to be rude, and others have the right to be rude back, or block you if it's online, but rudeness is not a justification for violence. Words for words.

"there is literally no example of the government stepping in to arrest someone for poor word choice"
Maybe not in the US, "UK man arrested for posting anti-Muslim tweets after Brussels attacks" "he asked a Muslim woman to 'explain Brussels' following terror attacks" https://www.theverge.com/2016/3...tweet-brussels

As for Twitter, if Trump can't block people, okay, but then neither can any politician. Rules must be applied evenly, and it's especially important when it comes to political speech.

If you want to know the real danger of free speech encroachment on Twitter, they've blocked a political party in the UK, that's election interference. Twitter's justification? They find UKIP's views to be politically incorrect. I hope you can see how dangerous it is for a multinational corporation to silence political debate.

@Maze So political correctness says it's okay to verbally abuse people for some reasons, but not for others? Seems...

There is no moral inconsistency. It very much is okay to verbally abuse people for some reasons, but not others.

Verbally abusing a black person for being black? Immoral. Verbally abusing someone for their damage to your property? Moral. If a gay person steps on your shoe, it's politically correct to call him a dick or a jerk or careless or inept, it's politically incorrect to call him a fruit or a fairy or anything that demonizes his homosexuality instead of his rudeness or lack of thought. Verbally abusing someone or something isn't innately wrong. I think anyone can attest to having used mean words without regret, they exist to express anger/frustration/bitterness. Saying a sports team sucks is politically correct, saying it's a team full of any racial slurs is politically incorrect. It's extremely straight forward, attacking someone on the basis of being rude, malicious, thoughtless, etc. is completely politically correct, attacking someone for their intrinsic identities such as race or gender is politically incorrect.

I don't know the UK constitution, so I don't know what their stance is on free speech, but thanks for the anecdotal tidbit I guess.

Anyway, yes, politicians in office cannot block people on twitter, I don't see why you had to detract it away from the President who has a very public track record of blocking. I figured it'd make sense to stick to well-known instances or common occurrences, Trump's blocking being both.

Lastly, UKIP's twitter is literally still active and running, thus I don't see what you're talking about.

@Skr3wBall There is no moral inconsistency. It very much is okay to verbally abuse people for some reasons, but not...

If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing right. But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. James 2:9

So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law of liberty. For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.
James 2:12

.

It's unfair to attack someone for something they have no control over, the accident of your birth isn't something you have any control over, so calling someone down over it is like hitting below the belt. Not a good way to be popular. But it's just words, it shouldn't be a crime to be an asshole or say offensive things. Where speech crosses the line is threatening people, calling for violence, that's unacceptable. Aside from that, if you don't like what someone has to say, don't talk to them.

UKIP wasn't banned from Twitter, but one of it's candidates was, Carl Benjamin, aka, Sargon of Akkad. Platforms like Twitter which are so afraid of allowing offensive content that they're willing to engage in what amounts to meddling in a foreign election, already allow users to block other users they don't want to interact with, so avoiding offensive people is unbelievably easy on Twitter, unless you're the President.

But it's not about keeping people from being offended, the left is incredibly offensive, you can actually guess someone's political tendencies from their level of aversion to disgusting things, and NEWS FLASH, the right is far more offended by disgusting things than the left, if anyone should be calling for censorship it's conservatives. And that's how it used to be, but over decades they were convinced by liberals that it's wrong to censor, "free expression, man."

This research backs up other studies that have suggested conservatives are more easily grossed out than liberals. https://www.businessinsider.com...es-and-blood-4

Now we have the internet, and free expression has been taken to a whole other level, now it's not about letting some freaky movie in theaters, it's people discussing ideas, and that's powerful. And what does power do? It corrupts. It makes corrupt people find excuses to silence those they can't beat in a debate. So they wheel out political correctness and use it as a weapon against anyone whose ideas might infringe on their ever expanding list of wrongthink. Weed the garden, as it were, until it becomes a perfect expression of their artistic vision, an idea which might seem alluring at first, until you remember that modern art is crap.

I figure you're right, that people define being "politically correct" differently. When I first started hearing political correctness being railed against so much, it seemed that not wishing to hurt or offend others with one's words was being derided. I saw people on the internet being congratulated for not being "PC", when they used racial slurs. I've always thought racial slurs were ugly, you see, since I was a little kid. Same with using intentionally hurtful words of any kind, to demean others based on their looks, nationality, religion, or sexual orientation. Certainly making fun of someone's disability is despicable.

I do think the idea of it has gotten out of hand though, in some aspects. I tend to agree with what George H.W. Bush said back in 1991, when it comes to those aspects...
“The notion of political correctness has ignited controversy across the land. And although the movement arises from the laudable desire to sweep away the debris of racism and sexism and hatred, it replaces old prejudice with new ones.”

I totally agree.

Originally the term "politically correct" meant strict adherence to a to particular political ideology. In that sense anyone who identifies as a Democrat, a Republican, a Capitalist, a Socialist, a Communist, a Nazi, whatever...and supports that group's philosophy is politically correct. (That's pretty much all of us.) Political correctness is not about being right or moral or just or fair or equal etc...It's about towing the party line.

How the term was changed and appropriated over the years is an interesting story. Google it. Personally I don't use it. pce smilie

My personal experiences with politically correct speaking have arisen from my insistence upon speaking with objective accuracy when I am talking. Therefore, I refer to people as homosexuals, not gays (especially also because I have seen so many of them who are angry and belligerent which is the opposite of being gay, i.e. happy, joyful) and since I have never seen anybody whose skin color is actually black, but various lighter or darker shades of brown or tan, I refer to those as colored people. When I have used the terms homosexual or colored people in my conversations I have sometimes been upbraided by those who were apparently offended by my objectively accurate choice of words.

Anonymous