-12

This is why the continents' shorelines match, amirite?

Science tells us the earth was originally formed as molten rock. Then as it cooled, a crust formed on the surface. Cracks developed in the crust as it cooled further, creating a series of continental plates that still exist today. Eventually water began to condense and as it accumulated, it filled in the cracks, forming the first oceans.

Are we on the same page so far?

Okay, so here's the part they don't talk about: space debris. There are a lot of rocks and dust floating around in space, we're constantly being peppered with space debris, tons of it per day. We don't notice the constant stream of sand, dust and little rocks hitting our planet because most of the larger chunks burn up in the atmosphere and land as dust. The dust then gets washed into the soil by rain. It's a very subtle process, we don't notice it, but science tells us it's happening constantly.

Okay, so what?

Consider the implications, throughout earth's existence, it has been getting larger. It's estimated that the circumference of the earth grows by about a foot per year. That's a very small percentage of the overall circumference, seemingly inconsequential, but over tens of millions of years, it adds up, which explains a couple things.

One is, since the earth was smaller in the ancient past, it had less gravity, meaning animals could grow larger than they can today, like dinosaurs. The other thing it explains is why the continents are scattered across the earth with shorelines that match.

Oceans wash the shores of continents, any dust that lands on the shore is washed away, so no matter how much dust lands, the continents don't get larger, they keep shrinking due to erosion, but also growing taller, which pushes them down into the magma beneath. The continental plates grow where they're cracked: at the bottom of the oceans between the continents. This means that as the earth keeps acquiring space debris and growing larger, the continents keep moving further apart, which is why their shorelines match even though they are far apart.

Image for post This is why the continents' shorelines match, amirite?
Mazes avatar
4 9

If accumulation of space debris makes continents drift apart, then I don't understand why India is colliding with China, as shown on the picture you posted.

Also, if mass from space were being accreted at a rate so as to increase the Earth's circumference by about 1 foot/year, the annual effect on the length of the day would be about 200 times larger than the 20 microseconds/year average that is actually observed, so I doubt that the 1 foot/year estimate is correct.

Also, the estimates I've seen for space dust/meteorite accretions give a maximum of about 300 metric tons per day, which is about 1.1 x 108 kg/year. Compared to the Earth's mass of about 6 x 1024 kg, the mass from space accretion would have an unmeasurable effect on the Earth's circumference, of about 6 parts in 1018 per year. By contrast, 1 foot per year would be about 7.6 parts in 109, over a billion times larger.

https://www.universetoday.com/9...st-hits-earth/

@Thinkerbell If accumulation of space debris makes continents drift apart, then I don't understand why India is colliding with...

"I don't understand why India is colliding with China"

Yeah, I don't get that either, I used the image because it approximates the concept I'm talking about, not because I think the specific details are necessarily accurate.

The article you presented is interesting, but it points out that the numbers are just speculation "...no one really knows for sure (how much cosmic dust and meteorites enter Earth’s atmosphere each day) and so far there hasn't been any real coordinated efforts to find out..." And if we don't know how much is hitting us now, we sure don't know how much was hitting us at other times.

A foot per year is what I heard, I don't know if it's accurate or not and apparently neither does science. However the concept that earth has been acquiring mass throughout its existence and is now larger than it was in the ancient past seems to be pretty well established. When you visualize how that process takes place, it's easy to see why the shorelines of the continents match: the earth got bigger via a process that did not enable the continents to get bigger, so the oceans got bigger instead.

@Maze "I don't understand why India is colliding with China" Yeah, I don't get that either, I used the image because it...

I think that 1 foot/year figure came from observed continental drifts (currently measured at about 1"/year between Europe and North America, for example), and then assuming the cause is space dust accretion, rather than tectonic shifts.

But for that assumption to be correct, it would require an accretion rate that is about 1 billion times greater than current accretion estimates, imprecise as those estimates may be, as well as having other effects (like much faster slowing of the Earth's rotation than what is currently observed), which simply aren't happening.

@2862204

My understanding of gravity is that it is the same force that holds atoms together, and the same force as magnetism. But magnets accumulate atomic attraction via alignment, whereas gravity accumulates atomic attraction via mass. It's the same force, just a different expression of it.

Yeah I know with all this we can't be exactly sure of anything but where do you think all the water came from Maze?
乂ᵒ◡ᵒ乂

@Ada Yeah I know with all this we can't be exactly sure of anything but where do you think all the water came from Maze?...

Hi Ada! A lot of space debris contains ice, so water part of the mass earth has been accumulating.

"A comet is an icy, small Solar System body that, when passing close to the Sun, warms and begins to release gases, a process called outgassing. This produces a visible atmosphere or coma, and sometimes also a tail." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet

It amazes me how many people are reluctant to question science even though more and more theories are being disproved everyday. As if all the discovery is done. I've also seen more conflicting ideas about erosion and volcanos. I think were about to see some big changes in geology books.
Good luck convincing people , it's like when dumb people talk science they want to affirm what they already heard and can't grasp how those ideas can't be proven as fact and they are just best guesses.

Anonymous