+29

Are all 18 years old boys immune from any corporal punishment? True, they have the same rights as any adult today, do they not? However, the dynamics remain unchanged. At 18, a boy is still living off his father, and has spent his whole life answering to him. Turning the calendar doesn't change these facts. Therefore, if raised in a family which traditionally use corporal punishments or spanks, he then accepts it, regardless of his chagrin. amirite?

yvan125s avatar
0 16
The voters have decided that yvan125 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I doubt if many 18 year olds would simply accept corporal punishment from their fathers, whether they are still living with or "off" them or not. "Spanking" an 18 year old, really?

@2864025

A slightly recurring theme to posts submitted, perhaps. smile smilie

@Piper2 A slightly recurring theme to posts submitted, perhaps.

Sorry Piper2,I would not not broach this theme any more but I want to let you know that that I was one of these 18 years old boys who in the 50's was trashed at home and got the strap more than once at college. These corporal punishments have left a deep effect on my life. But in the future, wil be more discret on that theme and would avoid it as much as possible.

@yvan125 Sorry Piper2,I would not not broach this theme any more but I want to let you know that that I was one of these 18...

There is no need whatsoever, for you to be sorry to me for broaching this subject.

I am not surprised, that the treatment you endured has deeply impacted your life.

@2864025

I really don't understand what you speak about. What does SH mean and papoose boards. Who is this person?

Thank you so much Piper2 for your speedy and kindly comment . Well, my academic life was almost a success. I hold a Ph.D in Applied Linguistics, a DEA ,a M.A. in Classical Studies and four B.A with Honours in Humanities, Art, Education and French Literature. T here is no need to linger over my personal and familial life which was a failure I don't want to turn the knife in the wound. I am now at the age of the never mind! A beautiful loser!

@yvan125 Thank you so much Piper2 for your speedy and kindly comment . Well, my academic life was almost a success. I hold...

I'm glad to hear that, yvan125. Sounds like you were more than almost a success, in your academic endeavors. smile smilie

You have not been a College teacher and received confidences from students of 18-20 years old. I reckon that today spanking a 18 years old is not as common as it was when I was the same age but it still exists. The student life Director of the junior college where I was teaching Humanities didn't know exactly the percentage of students who are still submitted to some kind of corporal punishments at home.He told me that I would be amazed of the number of students ( however more girls than boys) admitting being still disciplind at heir age. You never know what happens in the families. Gentle smile when you write that you doubt if many 18 years old would simply accept corporat punishment from theirs fathers. They have not to accept it but to get it for obvious reasons if they want to continue living at home.

@yvan125 You have not been a College teacher and received confidences from students of 18-20 years old. I reckon that...

I'm guessing you might be responding to my comment on your post. I don't need to have been a college teacher, to know that most 18 year olds would not simply "accept" being thrashed or " spanked" by their fathers. They might put up with it for awhile, but not for long unless they felt trapped or were emotionally or physically crippled somehow.
I don't know where you live, but what are you speaking of was not "common" at all where I've lived or during my lifetime. Not when I was 18 back in 70's, and not now.

I don't know Piper2. I am certainly older than you, I was 18 years old in 1954 I was born in 1936, I was raised on a farm and my parents like most of the other parents in the neighbourhood or in the village were firm believers in corporal punishments . Later I was enrolled in a religious little seminary and then in a junior college where the strap was used to discipline the rowdy and recalcitrant students. As you were coming of age at 21 years old at that time, it was not uncommon to see some 18 years old being physically disciplined by their parents. There was a quiet revolution in 1960 the attitudes of some parents changed completely and it was no more well thought of to use corporal punishments at home as well as at school. Personally, I was spanked by my parents quite often as a child and as a teen . I got the strap at college many times onboth hands hands up to 17-18 years old but I would never have conceived the idea to rebel against my parents and to move out I was too dependent of them financially and emotionally. I was also really weak physically and immature psychologically. I gave the impression to my educators and my parents of being stiil a young boy in short pants,

@yvan125 I don't know Piper2. I am certainly older than you, I was 18 years old in 1954 I was born in 1936, I was raised on...

You certainly are...by 20 years. My parents were also firm believers in corporal punishment. I have no doubt that there are situations in which an older teenager would simply "accept" physical discipline from a parent or other authority figure, but that has not been common during MY lifetime...where I'VE lived, as I said.

I believe what you endured can and often does leave long lasting emotional scars, and is in no way 'okay'.

Yvan, I think we must bear in mind that the people of your parents' generation were subject to stresses and fears that were immense in comparison to what we face today, at least in the western world. Two world wars, tens of millions of untimely, cruel deaths, economic depression and joblessness... it's no wonder their tolerance for childish misbehavior was short.

Even the comic strips of the time regarded corporal punishment as normal.

While I don't entirely agree with the saying, "to know all is to forgive all," I think in this case it is applicable, and indeed salutary.

@Thinkerbell Yvan, I think we must bear in mind that the people of your parents' generation were subject to stresses and fears...

Dear Thinkerbell, I reckon that we are often in our pain and sufferings narrow-minded and so egoistical. I have never thought of the stresses and fears that our parents felt as an explicative cause of their harshness and their use of corporal punishments in our education, and yet it seems now to me so plausible and so right It's the benefice of forum like this one which bring new perspectives , new explicative reasons, new approches to a problem. This global perspective is throwing a new light on this problem Thank you so much for the benefit of your insight. Concerning your saying I adopt it wholehearthedly.

There is also a non negligible reason why I could not rebel . I wastoo mitts afraid of my Daddy who was a big sturdy man with great mitts while I was quite small, thin and young-looking,

Anonymous