Where did tipping come from and how did we let this happen. Imagine if this is how our government or baseball players were paid? Why is your service job deemed so unimportant that random people can judge you and decide your pay, some of these people who have never worked a day in their life. These business get away with hardly paying taxes and giving the employees the rights they deserve.
I've had bad service from other businesses and paid full. If the food sucks you should get free food , not take money out of the servers pocket by giving less.

I propose we get rid of the 10-20% standard and tip per drink and plate. A beer at my bar next door cost 1.50$ but if I go to a club downtown it cost 10.00$ . Why would the service charge change?

unknownconditions avatar Food & Drink
1 12
@2868676

but you'll still pay full price after a 40 min wait at the door? Service stems from the establishment it seems unfair to blame the people bringing you the food. I don't think it's the customers responsibility to pay the staff however I understand how exploited and blamed this point of contact worker is. Many other jobs depend on tips but vaguely explaining the system to the customers to elevate embarrassment from being cheap.

Acting like the service was bad when you never brought cash in the first place is also an excuse

@2868679

I guess employers need to insure to pay staff enough so it's never an issue

You don't have to tip, that's your choice.

@unknowncondition yes u do

No you don't, no one is holding a gun to your head. Nothing can be done if you don't tip. They might try to embarrass you, but I'm sure you could live with that.

@StarzAbove No you don't, no one is holding a gun to your head. Nothing can be done if you don't tip. They might try to...

the point is … is that a person just worked for free. Unless they spill something Or spit on you they deserve payment. True by law you don't but you are no expert on service and it should not be on your mood weather you pay this person. I'm trying to change the world … not you

@unknowncondition the point is … is that a person just worked for free. Unless they spill something Or spit on you they deserve...

My point is, you DON'T have to tip anyone. Most of us do for good service, but I don't tip if the service is bad. You can't change the world, and I didn't take your comments as you were trying to change me...no need to get hostile. I was just making a point. Have a good day.

The history of when and why tipping began, is both varied and long. What I do know, is that the majority of waitpersons still get paid a wage less than any state minimum. I also know that many servers are opposed to their employers being required to pay them at least minimum wage, because then many people wouldn't be inclined to tip them at ALL. Even less inclined, I mean.