+26

There isn't that much to say about this, except for how sad it is, amirite?

During the years I've lived back in Florida, I have heard and read the many complaints from developers and others about the mandated slow speed manatee zones. Manatees were dropped from endangered to "threatened", back in 2017.

This Smithsonian article is from 2004, but I still hear the same kind of complaints from those who feel inconvenienced by the protections for these gentle creatures:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/...ant-105552766/

Florida manatee deaths could reach record high Wildlife officials say toxic Red Tide and chilly temperatures contributed to the sea cow deaths in 2018, but so far in 2019 the biggest threat to manatees are boats. https://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/florida-manatee-deaths-could-reach-record-high-20190715/Image for post There isn't  that much to say about this, except for  how sad it is, amirite?
Piper2s avatar
6 19
The voters have decided that Piper2 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Boats have always been a danger to manatees. They are unbelievable graceful creatures. I was thrilled to get to see a mama and her baby when I was on one canals of the Keys. Mama had boat scars all on her back. The animal control folks came and moved them to a safer area away from the boats. Amazing animals.

@beachbum Boats have always been a danger to manatees. They are unbelievable graceful creatures. I was thrilled to get to...

That is surely true, about boats always being a danger to manatees. Not quite as much of a danger though, when the people in control of the boats give enough of a damn to look out for them.
I was thrilled to see a mama and baby once too, in a canal not far from where I live. I never saw one in the Keys, but I saw many other wondrous sea creatures.

@2872854

For sure. Especially when those people feel that the animals aren't worthy of the slightest consideration, for existing in the same general space as them.

@2872861

Yes . As fascinating as the thought of mermaids and mermen is, I'm pretty sure no humans actually have to live in that whole other world of waters.

@Piper2 For sure. Especially when those people feel that the animals aren't worthy of the slightest consideration...

piper I can't imagine any sane person wanting to hit them with a boat. Wouldn't it be nice if the boats were banned so animals not humans could live.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred piper I can't imagine any sane person wanting to hit them with a boat. Wouldn't it be nice if the boats were...

While there are no doubt people who would intentionally hit a manatee with a boat..I doubt if very many of the manatee boat strikes are intentional.

No, I do not think it would be "'nice' if boats were banned so animals not humans could live."

@2872854

I agree with you lyn. Those poor animals are just no match for this modern world. Would be best if the waterways were divided into a sanctuary for the Manatees.

@2872849

Yes. I could say a lot, and many others do, but many people will still continue to disregard being cautious even in designated "manatee zones".

@Piper2 Yes. I could say a lot, and many others do, but many people will still continue to disregard being cautious...

I was thinking maybe some type of bright vest or flag could be put on manatees, I remember a place in Florida that encourages and feeds them all day especially the ones that are recovering. So they could equip all of them with a vest or collar with flags. Then if a boat hits them they can't say the animal wasn't seen.

@2873352

For sure. As far as the manatee boat deaths, there would a whole lot less of them , of course, if people just cared enough to look OUT for them. :(

@2873024

You are suggesting manatees move, or all the humans who visit or live in Florida?