-26

Have You Ever Walked Into A Grocery Store And Bought Something You Thought Was The Meat Of An Animal... And It Wasn't?

(The voting options were added, after I'd submitted my post and had earlier edited to remove the "amirite")
These options obviously make no sense, when one is asking a question.

Mississippi is forbidding grocery stores from calling veggie burgers “veggie burgers” - VoxProponents of the law say it’s necessary to avoid confusing consumers. That...doesn’t sound right.https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/7/3/20680731/mississippi-veggie-burgers-illegal-meatless-meatImage for post Have You Ever Walked Into A Grocery Store  And Bought Something You Thought Was The Meat Of An Animal... And It Wasn't?
Piper2s avatar
5 35
The voters have decided that Piper2 is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@2873678

Evidently, the National Cattlemen's Beef Association's top policy priority this year is battling "false and deceptive marketing" of what they call "fake meat." Since every plant-based product I've ever seen marketed with with words like burger or hot dog already has "meatless" prominently and clearly displayed right there on the front of the packaging..they must be very worried about the burgeoning lab-grown meat companies.

@2873858

For sure, and very much to the detriment of factory farmed animals and the public, as well as those you mentioned.
It is encouraging, that some of the ag-gag laws are being struck down in court.

@2873585

You think the lawsuit fighting the ridiculous law is ridiculous, then?

(I will 'counter' that down vote you got. Some someones have been real busy with those.)

@2873595

Several states have passed or are trying to pass laws, forbidding the use of most any word that has described a meat product, yes. That seems to include just using the word "meat", in some instances.

@2873607

What else is stupid...is "amirite" and those answer choices being added on even AFTER a question is submitted. I had to edit out the "amirite" after it got on there, but I can't do anything about the vote options now popping up. crs smilie

@2873614

It just occurred to me, that I failed to choose a format option when I was composing this post. It is probably MY fault, that the voting options were added even after it was submitted...and they weren't there.

@2873649

Sooo....it was me that was "stupid", and I just wanted to clear that up . a smilie

@2873654

I'M saying that I was the one who was "stupid", for forgetting to click on "Discussion" when composing this post. I was saying it to you, because of what I said before. It was my mistake...not the site's.

@2873601

We agree about the law(s) being stupid. Every plant-based product word I've seen objected to, has it right there in bold on the front..that the product is "meatless" and plant-based.

Also, animal flesh is not the only definition of meat in the first place...and if misunderstanding something is "stupid", you have a whole lot of company.

@2873611

Well now, wouldn't want to distract you from that.

@2873617

Okay. I got to meet Davy Jones once, speak with and listen to him for quite a while. He seemed to be a genuinely nice man...not at all arrogant or "self-important", because of the fame he and the band obtained.

@Piper2 We agree about the law(s) being stupid. Every plant-based product word I've seen objected to, has it right...

great article... basically the patty producers want to make it against the law to tell them that the animal meat you have been eating for years in "veggie burgers" has never been meat... as you as a vegan would argue

@unknowncondition not you ..but if you were vegan

I'm still not sure just what you're saying there in the former reply, or what my being an almost "vegan" has to do with it.

@Piper2 I'm still not sure just what you're saying there in the former reply, or what my being an almost "vegan"...

I was making a joke how the government is telling an actual vegan what is and isn't acceptable..i wasn't trying to get personal with you

@unknowncondition I was making a joke how the government is telling an actual vegan what is and isn't acceptable..i wasn't trying to...

I didn't think you were trying to get "personal", but what you're saying doesn't make much sense in reference to the article. To me, I mean. I guess it does to you, so okay.

@Piper2 I didn't think you were trying to get "personal", but what you're saying doesn't make much sense in reference...

maybe I missed the point of the article ...I always waste a lot of effort reading between the lines

There are a lot of things I don't pay attention to, but that's not the case when I'm shopping for food. :)

@Will_Janitor There are a lot of things I don't pay attention to, but that's not the case when I'm shopping for food. :)

I'll go ahead and confess, that I've picked up and purchased a package of coffee that was beans...not ground. I've actually done that two times now, but will never make the mistake again.
Fact is though, of course, I was just not paying enough attention....not "misled by misleading labeling". :)

No because I am smart enough to read the package before purchasing

I've never done that.

Whenever something sounds ridiculous like that law, it boils down to being about money.
Probably trying to stay ahead of the sue happy idiots that will never read the package, eat three quarters of the pack and will want to file a lawsuit after they couldn't get a full refund.

@DandyDon I've never done that. Whenever something sounds ridiculous like that law, it boils down to being about...

I'm positive, that that isn't at all what these laws are are about. We do agree, that the laws and attempts to pass them though, are all about money.

IF it was about those who might not read the obvious and clear labeling of these products, it would not be the "livestock" producers and industries who are attempting to and are passing them.

@Piper2 I'm positive, that that isn't at all what these laws are are about. We do agree, that the laws and attempts to...

That was an example I was giving, of how someone might try to sue them not the specific reason for the law being passed.....guess I shouldn't have given an example and stuck with just "sue happy idiots".

I can understand why a milk farmer wouldn't want a nut farmer, to be able to label squashed nuts as....Milk.

It's because of what lawyers could do with those misused, labeled words and make the ridiculous, look like the norm, costing them plenty of money by sue happy people(industry or Joe Blow), that will come up with crazier reasons to sue, then the one example I gave.

@DandyDon That was an example I was giving, of how someone might try to sue them not the specific reason for the law being...

We do agree, once again, about there being just "sue happy idiots".

There have always been other kinds of secretions aside from the mammal kind called milk, of course, and all the plant-based ones have that right there in front of the word "milk" in the wording on the packaging.