Piper2s avatar
6 17

Aww they are sooo cute.

That makes me sad that someone would harm these little creatures sad smilie

Lil_Princesss avatar Lil_Princess Yeah You Are +5Reply

Shocking!   ono smilie

I'm going to report those cruel Icelanders (who also haven't signed the whaling convention) to the King of Lundy!

Thinkerbells avatar Thinkerbell Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Thinkerbell Shocking!     I'm going to report those cruel Icelanders (who also haven't signed the whaling...

Not so shocking really, just sad. As I'm sure you know, Iceland is far from alone in the continuation of the slaughtering of whales.

I don't guess the King of Lundy could be doing much to help any puffins, these days. It's worth a try, though!

@Piper2 Not so shocking really, just sad. As I'm sure you know, Iceland is far from alone in the continuation of the...

Well, at least the whaling convention limits the slaughter to a degree.
Iceland, Norway and Japan are the only whaling countries that haven't signed on, to the best of my knowledge.

And those puffin trophy hunters must be dealers (or paid by dealers) who plan to sell the dead birds. Nobody needs 100 trophy puffins. un smilie

Thinkerbells avatar Thinkerbell Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Thinkerbell Well, at least the whaling convention limits the slaughter to a degree. Iceland, Norway and Japan are the only...

I believe all the countries you mentioned signed onto it, they just either withdrew, or haven't abided by the restrictions of the agreement.

That I don't know for sure, but you're almost right that there is a "market" for the birds. There is, of course, for a sickening amount of animal species..for some part or parts of them.

@Piper2 I believe all the countries you mentioned signed onto it, they just either withdrew, or haven't abided by the...

Yes, you are right about 'signing' the whaling convention.  I should have said Japan, Norway and Iceland haven't abided by it, which is perhaps even worse, since that makes them liars as well as butchers.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/asia-p...norway/1352052

@2875412

I have no issue with that, either. Neither do I have any issue with people hunting out of actual need, for sustenance, as opposed to picking up a neat little package of meat at a grocery store. I'm sure I have also explained that, long ago.

Killing for sport, or even profit when there are alternatives to earning money that way.. has always been just wrong to me, also.

Very sad way to have "fun".

JanHaskells avatar JanHaskell Yeah You Are +3Reply
@2875524

I have learned since I posted this yesterday, that hunting puffins and many other seabirds is an ages old "cultural tradition" in Iceland and surrounding areas. They are still doing it, even though puffin populations are declining at an alarming rate.

I can't stand trophy hunting and I don't understand why anyone would choose to do it.

Shameful...

Chris_the_Demons avatar Chris_the_Demon Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Chris_the_Demon I can't stand trophy hunting and I don't understand why anyone would choose to do it. Shameful...

Yes. There is something terribly wrong to me, with someone getting pleasure out of killing....no matter why they choose to do it.

@2875460

For sure. Fact is, I was a little shocked to see the headline about puffins in my inbox. I have a petition or two you can sign, if you're interested. While I don't have much hope that signing them usually changes anything, every now and then they make a difference.

Anonymous