-38

Plastic straws are a great alternative if you like awful things that don't work as intended. amirite?

Thebuggawumps avatar
1 11

You mean paper straws? Plastic straws are normal

maybe your right

Virtually no plastic straws find their way into the ocean from North America, so us banning them is completely pointless if the goal is to keep them out of the ocean. They should be recycled like the plastic cups they come with.

"Eight million tons of plastic flow into the ocean every year, and straws comprise just 0.025 percent of that." https://www.nationalgeographic....w-history-ban/

"About 90 percent of all the plastic that reaches the world's oceans gets flushed through just 10 rivers: The Yangtze, the Indus, Yellow River, Hai River, the Nile, the Ganges, Pearl River, Amur River, the Niger, and the Mekong (in that order)."
https://www.dw.com/en/almost-al...ers/a-41581484

Yeah, none of those fucking rivers in in North America.

So the plastic straw bans have nothing to do with helping the environment, they're about helping idiots think they're making a sacrifice to save the planet, when in fact it's a totally empty, meaningless gesture. But not only that, since paper straws have a chemical flavor, they're probably leeching toxic chemicals, and in a few years it will probably come out that they're making people sick.

@Maze Virtually no plastic straws find their way into the ocean from North America, so us banning them is completely...

you may be under playing the fact that we pay to get our worst trash taken out of American and developed countries and sent to the poor ones

@Maze What, like plastic straws?

who knows... your claim is awful suspicions that the largest user of straws doesn't contribute to the worlds pollution … here's a statistic about straws I want to look into .. I never use straws as a man and I think most women use them to not mess up their makeup and use them proportionally more then men... so this might be a feminist problem ( and i know how they feel when men try to fix woman problems so....) besides I have a mental complex about straws , they seem to phallic for my mouth

@unknowncondition who knows... your claim is awful suspicions that the largest user of straws doesn't contribute to the worlds...

and again we as consumers have the power to not buy these products and even forcing the companies to produce a product we actually want... we as consumers actually have so much power that if WE are lazy and don't care we can let and watch these businesses destroy our world all while we pay them to do it... Companies are basically selling you trash when all you wanted was the soda.

I don't drink a lot of fountain drinks, but when I do I want a straw, a plastic one, and it will go in the trash like the cup, so it's not going to end up in the ocean.

maybe I went of track on this one... are you saying paper straws are pointless ?

it seems like a nice gesture to me

Anonymous