+35

You Can't Teach Wisdom, amirite?

urwutuiss avatar Philosophy
1 4
The voters have decided that urwutuis is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Of course wisdom can be taught, as long as the student is willing. That's the entire point of most religions, to make you wiser than you would otherwise be.

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is bitterest.
Confucius

@Maze Of course wisdom can be taught, as long as the student is willing. That's the entire point of most religions, to...

I would disagree and apparently so does Confucius. How do you teach experience?
Experience is the best teacher but you get the test first and the lesson later.

@urwutuis I would disagree and apparently so does Confucius. How do you teach experience? Experience is the best teacher but...

Confucius says experience is the bitterest way to acquire wisdom, does that sound like he thinks it's the most desirable to become wise? He says the easiest way is imitation, which is what books like his allow you to do. You learn the proverb and then apply it in your life, doing the thing because you're imitating, not because you learned to do it by hard experience. But once you learn a lesson, you see it play out all the time in the real world, so it's not as though it's just theory.

.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

Confucius

@Maze Confucius says experience is the bitterest way to acquire wisdom, does that sound like he thinks it's the most...

I dont think he means easiest as desirable... I think experience is bitterest because its a personal education where you cant explain the lesson...... Where the lesson is a mistake that must be overcome...and to call refection noble would be an understatement because its completely magical when YOUR brain pulls a new idea out of thin air