+65

Religion was a first attempt at philosophy we don’t need it anymore, amirite?

Tylercraven87s avatar Religion
0 9
The voters have decided that Tylercraven87 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I certainly don't, but it seems the majority of people on Earth do. For example, about 70% of US citizens identify as some form of Christian. Only about 7% identify as atheists and/or agnostics. pce smilie

@Chris_the_Demon I certainly don't, but it seems the majority of people on Earth do. For example, about 70% of US citizens...

The amount of people that believe something can not be the reason for the claim to be true.

Tylercraven87s avatar Tylercraven87 Yeah You Are +7Reply
@Tylercraven87 The amount of people that believe something can not be the reason for the claim to be true.

I agree.

However you said "...we don't need it anymore." and I was pointing out that many people, for whatever reason, do need it.

IMO, religion was supposed to be about peace and love, but it turned into war and hatred for others, even the atheists and agnostics turned it into a war as well.

Religion has always been a type two error in cognition

Tylercraven87s avatar Tylercraven87 Yeah You Are +6Reply

It's fear of death, ways to control people, and ways to feel good about being a rotten human. "We've destroyed the planet, but it's God's will". "I murdered my whole family, but God forgives me". Crazy..

Religion isn't just a way to explain the "unexplainable" - it's a source of community, of hope, and of purpose. Even if religious explanations of natural phenomena are outdated, I think it's a bit unfair to say that we don't need religion anymore.

@Wunderscore Religion isn't just a way to explain the "unexplainable" - it's a source of community, of hope, and of purpose...

Religion has caused more pain , suffering, death, torture , persecution, marginalization,
pedophelia, wars and inequity than any other man made invention.

@Religion has caused more pain , suffering, death, torture , persecution, marginalization, pedophelia, wars and...

You could say the same about political ideologies or power or money.. are those obsolete too?

Anonymous