+24

Since dying for a worthy cause is considered honorable then lying (if need be) for the greater good should be considered honorable, too. Amirite?

glertzles avatar History
2 8
The voters have decided that glertzle is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

lol... Well, I was going to use lying to Nazis as an example but you beat me to it.

However, I would argue for a lie to be, if not necessarily honorable, at least the better option depends upon a few things. What are your motives for lying or telling the truth? What's the result of lying or telling the truth? Is saying nothing an option?

Here's an example that actually happened to me.

My best friends had a baby and it wasn't very cute. Not cute at all. If fact it was downright ugly. (I know that's sounds horrible but it's the truth!) So the question was; do I tell the truth or oooh and aaah and say "Oh what a little cutie!" ?

You better damn well believe I lied, Why? First of all, saying nothing was not an option. Secondly, telling the truth would have caused pain to my friends. Thirdly, telling the truth would not have solved the problem nor even slightly improved the situation. And lastly, lying did not make the situation worse.

Chris_the_Demons avatar Chris_the_Demon Yeah You Are +8Reply
@glertzle My thoughts exactly... including the drink

One of the three branches that make up what we call Ethics is Normative Ethics. Consequentialism comes under that heading and is the theory that the consequences of one's actions dictates whether that action is right or wrong, good or evil, etc... So from that point of view my decision was morally correct because it produced a good outcome.

Interesting post. pce smilie

No just no...nothing good comes from lying. If someone say like my hair cut...I learned to say nope not really...or like this new shirt...not something I would wear. Yeah people get slightly butthurt however it is what it is.

While I don't go out of my way to hurt a person's feelings, I don't go out of my way to be America's sweetheart anymore either. no smilie

Plus I can spot a liar 50 yards awaywink smilie

Lil_Princesss avatar Lil_Princess Yeah You Are -3Reply
@Lil_Princess No just no...nothing good comes from lying. If someone say like my hair cut...I learned to say nope not...

Nothing good at all comes from lying? "No officer... there are no Jews here"

(a repeated lie that saved countless lives in Nazi-held countries during WW2)

glertzles avatar glertzle Yeah You Are +7Reply
@glertzle Nothing good at all comes from lying? "No officer... there are no Jews here" (a repeated lie that saved countless...

Well shucks I didn't realize ya was going come back all educational on meono smilie

You're right (enjoy that moment). I didn't stop and think of those types of lies.

Lil_Princesss avatar Lil_Princess Yeah You Are -4Reply
Anonymous