+33

The expression 'nothing to be sneezed at' makes absolutely no sense. amirite?

eegros avatar Science
1 9
The voters have decided that eegro is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Is this an expression? I've only ever heard people say ‘to be sniffed at'

@Vindicare-jjl Is this an expression? I've only ever heard people say ‘to be sniffed at'

'Nothing to Sneeze At' means something that is not an inconsequential matter, not a trifling thing.

Example of use: "When Daniel was chosen to be valedictorian, he was so proud, because the honor of being chosen to represent your entire class is nothing to sneeze at."      

Nothing to Sneeze At

Phrase of the Day

‘Nothing to Sneeze At' means something that is not an inconsequential matter, not a trifling thing.

Interesting fact: In the 17th century, sneezing was considered a symbol of status as people believed it cleared their head and stimulated their brain. Soon sneezing at will became a way to show one's disapproval, lack of interest and boredom. The first recorded use of the phrase in its current negative form, was in 1799, in a play by John Till Allingham: 'Fortune's Frolic': "Why, as to his consent I don't value it a button; but then £5000 is a sum not to be sneezed at."

I've heard people use the expression your way. Same same, I guess.

I can tell you expressions in my language bruh. Most of them make no sense

@eegro I'm guessing you're Polish? lay one me B.

"Dobrze panie bobrze" - good (you) mister beaver

"Dobra to jest zupa z bobra" - a good one is a soup made of a beaver

I think these are The dumbest expressions

@freq432 So... I guess you have lots of beavers over there?

I dont know, theres a video on youtube where a guy is chasing some beaver and hes swearing.

We have other expressions:

Nie ucz ojca dzieci robić - dont teach a father how to make children

Nie wywołuj wilka z lasu - dont call the wolf from the forest

Wypchaj się sianem - stuff yourself with hay!

Etc.

Anonymous