+71

Knowing the difference between stalagmites and stalactites is a lot less important in adulthood than elementary school made it seem, amirite?

Nlphbtsmss avatar Education
0 34
The voters have decided that Nlphbtsms is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

My friend said "A stalag-mite hit you in the head." But he never knows what he's talking about. That's how I remember it.

Appliedprocs avatar Appliedproc Yeah You Are +15Reply

Along with quite a bit of the rest of what was taught in grade school. I remember my 3rd-grade math teacher telling us that we wouldn't have a calculator in our pockets as an adult. This was in the early 90s, mind you. But look at us now! We all carry supercomputers in our pockets. Some of us don't even put them down to drive!

@Bigbobseinfeld Along with quite a bit of the rest of what was taught in grade school. I remember my 3rd-grade math teacher telling...

In retrospect, from a practical standpoint, all those school years of school could be trimmed down to, like, 10 hours. Throw away everything we never use, keep only fundamental math and reading, throw in the stuff we have to do as adults, pike doing taxes and whatnot, done.

@In retrospect, from a practical standpoint, all those school years of school could be trimmed down to, like, 10...

Eh, that's throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

People love to throw soft sciences and liberal arts under the bus because "they don't have any real world applications hurr durr."

History is massively important to learn and understand. If you don't learn history, you won't understand the mistakes that have been made and why it's important to avoid those mistakes.

Reading is an essential skill, but literature is an essential refinement. Even such common curricular fare as To Kill a Mockingbird, Frankenstein, and Flowers for Algernon, teach the reader basic human values like human decency and the ability to reserve judgment based on preconceived notions.

STEM is valuable.

But if you dismiss the humanities, you end up with an inhumane population.

baron7755s avatar baron7755 Yeah You Are +10Reply

In reality being able to do arithmetic in your head is a useful skill. One that I do use everyday.

Being able to estimate amounts from basic information is also extremely useful.

I watch people around me on a regular basis accept statements that are complete nonsense because they can't do some basic maths and estimations.

I do agree that for most people higher level maths skills is probably a waste of time when they haven't grasped the basics.

Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.

@tonywonderslostnut Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.

As an animal science major who's currently taking biochemistry, that sentence gives me lots of strength most days don't you dare attack my mitochondria /s

T in stalactites looks like it's hanging from ceiling,
M in stalagmites looks like it's coming up from the ground. That's how I remember

Lol this actually came up in dnd and we wished we could remember

Stalag-MIGHT- reach the ceiling Stalag-TIGHTS- fall down

@Stalag-MIGHT- reach the ceiling Stalag-TIGHTS- fall down

My elementary teacher told me in a cave once that an easy way to remember the difference is that you MIGHT bump your head on a stalagMITE, as she pointed up at what I now know to be a stalactite. Because of that moment I learned last year I've had stalagmite and stalactite mixed up in my head for over 20 years. I don't believe I've run into any issues due to this though.

Wait Until your trapped in a cave...

Wasn't this just on Colbert?

@catsuperberg Wasn't this just on Colbert?

Really? I watch "A late show" every night and I must've missed it

I always remembered it with ‚titties are hanging‘, so stalactites are the hanging ones.

Highvaluedaygames avatar Highvaluedaygame Yeah You Are +10Reply

My teacher taught me the, G in stalagmites stands for ground and the C in stalactites is for ceiling? Thats i remember it😝🤪😜😛

@bibbitybobbitybacon My teacher taught me the, G in stalagmites stands for ground and the C in stalactites is for ceiling? Thats i...

Also, stalagTITES cling TIGHT to the ceiling. StalagMITES one day MIGHT grow to the ceiling.

Iamalgends avatar Iamalgend Yeah You Are +13Reply

I will never forget that. Thanks! Here's one back...

My teacher taught us how to spell the word "friend" with an 'ie' by saying that you get to go to your friends house on "Fri"day so you spell it "Fri"end.

Not unless you're running Out of the Abyss in D&D

Funny thing is a comic book helped me remember which is which, the trick is g for ground and c for ceiling. Thank you DC Comics.

I use that information every day

@I use that information every day

Not everyday but frequently... including WITHIN mammoth caves when people couldn't hear the guide

Honestly I've never used this information in my adult life, but I do like being prepared

It's most of what we consider as adults. What is up? And what is down?

I was too busy worrying about quicksand and African killer bees.

craysuss avatar craysus Yeah You Are +6Reply

Tell that to the stalagmites!

Anonymous