+59

If nobody knows what happens when we die - why do we assume that it's the "end of life?", amirite?

Philosophy
0 8

Well believing humans live on after the body dies is believing humans are magic. I cannot speak for anyone else, but I am absolutely 100 percent sure that I am not magic, and I will absolutely not become magic just because this old body finally dies. Not gonna happen. But all you magical people believe what you want.

This is very interesting! Perhaps we assume death is the end of life because it's the end of all things we know about the process of simply existing. You could say, it's an assumption made out of the fear of the unknown.

Not everyone makes that assumption. People have different beliefs on what death is and what happens after but there is no definitive answer.

@johnsonsteeth Not everyone makes that assumption. People have different beliefs on what death is and what happens after but...

Yeah for sure - it's an interesting rabbit hole to travel down. With all different frames of mind/systems of thinking, you can get into if death even exists as an opposite/end of life, if life is even real itself, and so on.

Not to be completely meta I guess - at the end of the day, I would say you have to follow some sort of existential structure to give yourself a reason to strive for a great "life," but I believe that expanding your outlook on what the transition is after you've been on earth for awhile is super important too.

Death is real only the belief is suspect

I don't know you realize how many people believe in an afterlife.